BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Front LSD or Air Locker?

More
31 May 2022 19:20 #243542 by andresfborrero
Hi everyone!

I have a 2014 G3 Jimny. I just decided on my first mod, a rear air locker and a gear reduction kit! My goal is to slowly crawl over the obstacles to minimize the damage to the car. I am now thinking on what to install for the front axle, one option would be an LSD and forget about it and the other would be to take advantage of the already installed air compressor and have a front and rear locker option.

So far, having a front locker seems like the most capable option. But I would need to be connecting it and disconnecting it to avoid heavy steering.

I'd like to hear opinions about this. If I'm going for an LSD what ratio should it be? What is a good pre load?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2022 12:54 #243544 by maverick

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Jun 2022 06:01 #243550 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Front LSD or Air Locker?
With a 2014 you should have traction control yes? To that end I would recommend a quaife helical LSD as if will complement the existing traction control system.

When funds allow I will be doing much the same as you and lowering the gearing and adding mechanical traction aids to the axles though I will have quaife differentials both ends as 1 they are fit and forget and 2 they work on road too not just when I remember off road. I know that traction control and LSD are reaction based instead of preemptive but in general conditions that reaction time for a wheel trying to slip is very short.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
More
02 Jun 2022 06:10 #243551 by Lambert
Also it's not the front locked out that affects the steering it's the back. With the front locked the car will go where the wheels are pointing. With the back locked it will want to continue straight.

More
02 Jun 2022 15:56 #243554 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Front LSD or Air Locker?
It seem's  some previous comments disapeared, possibly while Martin was fiddling with the cables behind the telly! Here's what I wrote before:

You can't go far wrong with either. As Lambert says, the combination of traction control and an LSD works very similarly to a locked diff, albeit with a small amount of lag. Personally I'd have gone witha Quaife in the rear because it improves how the car drives all the time, not just when you're off-road with it engaged. I have a quaife in the back of my Jimny (03 so no traction control) and a welded front diff and it's a good combination. Twin quaifes with traction control would be equally capable and more fit and forget.
And Lambert is correct about the steering thing. Locked rear diffs make a car go straight because the rear wheels are pointing straight. Locked front diffs make the car go in whatever direction the wheels are pointing, so are much more user friendly.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
02 Jun 2022 16:33 #243555 by Lambert
You noticed that too, I thought it was me having another senior moment!

More
02 Jun 2022 17:44 #243556 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Front LSD or Air Locker?
Yes, sorry. If you posted whilst the databases were moved then your posts are on the old server :(

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
04 Jun 2022 15:17 #243564 by Obarno
Replied by Obarno on topic Re:Front LSD or Air Locker?
I’ve had arb air lockers back and front in my Jimny for the last 10 years and wouldn’t be without them. It means you can drive very carefully over rocky lumpy parts without using momentum to keep,movinng. They flick in and out very quickly so really not a problem. On difficult bits I tend lo leave the rear locker in and when necessary disconnect the front. The locked rear doesn’t stop you steering as generally I’m driving on a loose surface, hence the need for the locker. With arbs you only have to back off a bit, flick the switch and it’s out. Definitely the way to go, but they’re not cheap!

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds