BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave’s long-term Lil’Bugga Buggy Build

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Apr 2022 06:25 - 19 Apr 2022 06:27 #242992 by Lambert

Just browsing eBay, as you do, and some second-hand coilover springs popped up…

bid gone in 

looking at stock suspension -

the cone with the bump stop on the bottom inside the spring looks to be 2”+3” long, and these are about 5.5” long, so should compress to 2” to 3” ?

(ones is 6.5” long but Mr.Angry will soon sort that 

And they’re 2.25” internal diameter so will slip nicely over some 2” OD seamless tube roll cage off cuts I’ve got lying round, which will make the outer tube of the ‘pistons’ I’ve proposed above…

Do you know what rate these springs are, as looking at them they seem quite beefy? For this to work smoothly you need fairly weak springs as helpers so that they are fully compressed at normal rode height. Unless you are actually wanting them to work as a progressive rate compound system? It's just if they are too stiff then you will not have any movement in the slider section except at full compression. Ideally it needs modeling with some idea of the final weight of the buggy.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 19 Apr 2022 06:27 by Lambert.
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2022 13:29 - 19 Apr 2022 13:33 #242996 by X8GGY
Too late! I won them last night for £22 delivered, so worth a look and a play… 

When I originally zoomed in on the eBay hi-res photo I reckon they’re wound from 8mm wire and the coils are 20mm apart… they’re 5.5” long and I need them to compress to 2.5” - 3” to equal the stock position of the bump stop cone mounting, which I reckon to be about 4” below the spring seat in the photo now on the previous page, so the bump will actually be more like this -

To give me more droop and upward articulation with the long shocks (29” open, 15” closed so 14” of available travel not that I’ll need that much! Not with stock radius arms and narrowed axles…,)

So in my awful sketch there’s still another 2” of unassisted droop still available…

Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Apr 2022 13:33 by X8GGY.

More
19 Apr 2022 13:37 - 19 Apr 2022 13:46 #242997 by X8GGY
It’s just an idea for me to play with whilst I’ve got time on my hands (mind) to mull it all over in hospital, and winters experimenting and building in the man cave…
Last edit: 19 Apr 2022 13:46 by X8GGY.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Apr 2022 16:31 #242998 by Lambert
That's ok then. And it's not exactly breaking the bank at that price. Totally agree that keeping the mind sharp is the trick for being incapacitated, I was just the same when I hurt my back.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 Apr 2022 19:14 #243043 by Dirtbird
No you just need a Jimny

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

More
21 Apr 2022 19:15 #243044 by Dirtbird
Dave just looking at the drawings reminds me of a war movie where the guys are drawing up an escape plan .........

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

More
22 Apr 2022 16:42 #243063 by X8GGY
New blog entry today, again to relieve the boredom in hospital… considering all the controls I’m going to need to consider how to do them and where to locate them for ease of use…

lil-bugga.com/2022/04/22/controls/

More
22 Apr 2022 19:24 #243064 by Dirtbird
Dave, is it going to be a crawler?

More
22 Apr 2022 19:34 #243067 by X8GGY
Crawler buggy inspired… but on the cheap using as much as possible standard Jimny parts as they’re readily available and inexpensive, home engineering too, this page explains where I’m heading…

lil-bugga.com/2022/03/26/inspiration-2/

and this one

lil-bugga.com/2022/04/07/developing-ideas/

So tube frame single seater, few years work based on the Boogie’s build and my current health issues?

Purely off-road so I don’t have to comply with anything although I have been reading the AWDC’s rules and class system to maybe head that way a bit as well as ‘Laning The Boogie…

More
22 Apr 2022 19:42 #243068 by X8GGY
Imagine this

But much cheaper home engineered lol 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
23 Apr 2022 12:13 #243087 by X8GGY
Rear Steer Idea -

lil-bugga.com/2022/04/23/rear-steer-idea/

Apologies (to Martin) for external links, saves me copying and pasting, and clogging the BiJimny web space with all my build photos 

More
24 Apr 2022 11:34 #243123 by Dirtbird
Dave hope your in good form . Dave i think there is a group of you here who should meet some weekend up in the moors and start a group called "Jimny Space X" Id put Les , Riccky your self and a couple of others together and see what would come out of the mix. 
The task or mission would be to design out the niggles of the Jimny .
Like sore right knee from the driver door card. 
Chassis mod for Clutch change.
Im looking forward to the new project as the last build helped me learn fabrication skills and ideas and the idea that it can be done. 

Keep the post flying and thanks for sharing. 

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds