BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave’s long-term Lil’Bugga Buggy Build

More
12 Jul 2021 19:18 #236641 by X8GGY
Ahh, many a true word... seems I've missed a couple of updates! ;)

More parts have been amassed! :lol:

A complete set of parts for the front front axle rebuild...

4 kingpin bearings
2 Axle Seals
2 Swivel Ball Seals
King Pin Bolts and Axle Seal Bolts
Radius Arm Bolts
4 Track Rod Ends for the Steering Bars
Brake Pads
And axle ball 10mm steel gussets from he who can not be named on this forum but his initials are 'RW'

The plan is to narrow and rebuild the front front axle first whilst meanwhile saving for another set of parts to build the rear front axle, hence the 26 spline side gears shown above... ;)

Obsessed? Moi? :evil:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2021 08:31 - 16 Jul 2021 08:55 #236722 by X8GGY
Not much time at the moment, one of our staff is off this week and next, so rather than calling one of the other staff in I thought I'd do their hours myself, and that way I'll have enough for the tyres at the end of the month... I've already agreed with my mate in the tyre bay that they'll get sent straight to him so the wife doesn't see them ;)

Meanwhile, plenty of time stood at the till, thinking and Googling... this week "fiddle brakes" (also known as cutting / steering brakes) being able to brake either side of the rear ('front') axle independently with levers to aid steering in tight areas, i.e. brake the left rear wheel and the (open) rear diff will transfer power to the right wheel and make the buggy steer tighter, especially when aided by the proposed rear steer too (hence also using a front axle on the rear).

I looked at aftermarket systems (Llama4x4 and HM4x4 for instance) but they seem to offer lever systems to brake another calliper fitted to each rear disk brake, where as I wanted to use the existing rear callipers, so that I can press the brake pedal and get four wheel braking, or pull a lever to brake just one rear wheel...

More Googling then, and read lots of forum posts referring to...

Hillman Imp master cylinders, these (usually) have the feeder tank plumbed to the right hand port, and when the brake is applied the piston is pushed in, the inout valve is closed off (by the passing piston) and the brake fluid is squeezed through the left port to push the brake disk pistons on... so in my scenario this will (apparently!) then work as a pass through - So if I use the standard Jimny brake master cylinder with it's fluid reservoir on top, through the standard brake assembly, the brakes will all (four) work as intended, as the Imp master cylinders will be "open". Then if I want to use the fiddle brakes, I pull on the (to be manufactured) long handle and that will apply fluid just to the intended wheel...

As you can see, these were only £31 each (two required) and some fabrication to get them working, where as aftermarket ones are around £200, and don't appear to work as I wish...

I may still have to work out a handbrake facility too?...

The thinking and Googling continues then... ;) 

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Jul 2021 08:55 by X8GGY.

More
16 Jul 2021 08:53 - 16 Jul 2021 08:56 #236725 by X8GGY
:lol: There's timing! The postie just delivered them..

Even better! They've come with different / better ends on the piston rods ideal to connect to the handles -

Like these (Llama4x4) ones...

The piston does not seem to cutoff the input port as said above though... but that'll work fine in my proposed system anyways... ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Jul 2021 08:56 by X8GGY.

More
16 Jul 2021 12:38 #236734 by X8GGY
From looking at the complicated schematic -

and thinking about it some more... the piston(s) must shut off the input port, otherwise the brake fluid header tank would get pressurised...?

Attachments:

More
16 Jul 2021 19:20 #236740 by RainerK
Yes, I think this the way these brake cylinders work. Otherwise it would be impossible to build up sufficient pressure because the air in the header tank would just compress (a little).

More
16 Jul 2021 19:31 #236742 by RainerK
So from what I understand, you plan to align the breaking cylinders in series. I would think this could work. In this case the second cylinder has the full braking pressure while not pressed at all. I am not sure that a usual break cylinder is designed for this regarding sealing or pushing out of the actuator.

You might avoid this, if you design them in parallel with (at least) in total 4 stop valves.

More
16 Jul 2021 19:52 #236744 by X8GGY
Yes, the forum I have read on using these for fiddle brakes does say that the (Hillman Imp) master cylinders will need stops in front of the actuator levers to stop the pistons being pushed out when the 'normal' vehicle (in my case the standard Jimny one) master cylinder is pressed with the normal foot brake pedal that would pressurise the (Hillman Imp) master cylinders being used for the fiddle brakes...

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Jul 2021 08:12 #236750 by Lambert
Fiddle brake systems are the future. I have them on my massey ferguson along with a diff lock, you can virtually pivot round either back wheel if you need or control a slip across the axle. Takes practice to be quick with it though.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
10 Aug 2021 16:34 #237470 by X8GGY
Ooh! The tyres finally turned up! Ordered on the 27/7 delivered on the 10/8, supposedly from Lichfield as listed on eBay, but they wandered over from Poland...

Pleased with them now they're here though, and eventually went for 235/75 R15's (so approx 29" x 9.5" ... lil'Bugga sized then! B) )as they were on offer at the time at £365 but they've since gone back up to £406...

I'll drop them round to the friendly tyre bay at the of our road with the rims tomorrow...
Attachments:

• Baloo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Aug 2021 08:59 - 11 Aug 2021 10:03 #237478 by Baloo
Replied by Baloo on topic Dave’s long-term Lil’Bugga Buggy Build
Looking good Dave
Nice Wheels and tyres are always good for motivation
I'm going to drop the tyres off mine this week and send them for shot blasting cant be doing with tatty wheels lol
Last edit: 11 Aug 2021 10:03 by Baloo.

More
11 Aug 2021 10:18 #237482 by X8GGY
Thanks Baloo... yes, worth the wait! :lol:

Just finished a bacon butty, so now going to pull the Boogie out of the garage and pop the car cover over it as it looks like rain today :( Hence being at home and not on a 'lane somewhere... And then tidy the garage, organise and start cleaning the parts I have, clean the replacement wheel (one had a big ding in it) and then drop the tyres and alloys round to the tyre bay (50 metres away?!) to be combined B)

There was some discussion on facebook about putting balance beads in first, but with this eventually going to be a crawler buggy and offroad only, it won't be going fast enough to warrant the beads... 

More
11 Aug 2021 16:18 #237492 by jackonlyjack
I had these tyres Dave grippy as hell 
Just keep an eye on pressures cos side walls are so strong.
i was running one tyre at 9psi others at 20 for how long i can't say 
but you could not tell it was down. but i think this lead to the side wall cracking within a year 

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds