BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Giving the Jimny a birthday

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Mar 2021 04:21 #233899 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Giving the Jimny a birthday
Excellent work that man thanks for sharing.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike G

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2021 08:33 #233901 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Giving the Jimny a birthday
Not been boring, the pace you have gone at it has been amazing to see. Not many people are lucky enough to be able to tackle it in this way, the shed hire has been a godsend. Looking forward to seeing it all back in one piece.

More
22 Mar 2021 08:45 #233902 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic Giving the Jimny a birthday
Good work and hope to see it at the BIGJIMNY PARTY

More
22 Mar 2021 22:25 #233939 by Mike G
Replied by Mike G on topic Giving the Jimny a birthday

Soeley wrote: Not been boring, the pace you have gone at it has been amazing to see. Not many people are lucky enough to be able to tackle it in this way, the shed hire has been a godsend. Looking forward to seeing it all back in one piece.

Very true, the shed has made all the difference and I have been very lucky to have all the equipment needed to do the job at hand.  The sheds are hobby workshops, mainly guys with stock cars or mechanics doing jobs, so I've had access to everything I need, from a bearing press to a forklift!  I'll be glad when everything is back together again as I've missed driving about in the jimny.

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.

More
22 Mar 2021 22:28 #233940 by Mike G

gv42 wrote: Good work and hope to see it at the BIGJIMNY PARTY

Not sure if I'll make it as, unfortunately, I don't know whether I'm working or not in advance.  I'm up in Aberdeenshire too, so might be a bit of a back breaker of a drive down depending where it is 

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.

More
22 Mar 2021 22:43 - 22 Mar 2021 22:45 #233943 by Mike G
Monday 22nd March

Jobs done:
  • connected up steering
  • connected up clutch
  • fitted brake lines from body to brake manifold (although I seem to have lost one of my banjo bolts)
  • finished fitting and welding in slam panel
  • seam sealed new welds
  • test fitted new front bumper
  • emptied out all my stuff from the shed as rental period is up today
Decided to make the most of having the ramp on the last day and tried to get the fiddly connection jobs done, so I connected up the clutch and fitted the brake lines from the body to the brake manifold.  I have ordered another 10mm banjo bolt as I seem to have misplaced one of them.  Never mind tho, I didn't have time to mess around bleeding the brakes.  As long as I have a handbrake, that's all that matters for now as I can't even start the engine due to ordering the incorrect size of QD fuel connector.  I then got stuck into the slam panel, messed about for an hour checking and double checking the lining up everything.  Once I was happy enough to commit, I pushed on with some more welding (hopefully the last for a very long time).  It wasn't the prettiest job as I was (a) pressed for time and (b) sick to the back teeth of melting metal, but it is good enough for a few years motoring.  Not sure if some of the pictures came out too well, the flash did go off, but for some reason, they are very dark.

Well, that's the end of my shed rental as of tonight.  I am allowed to leave the motor in there overnight as it was 1930 until I finished the slam panel.  No point messing around and trying to get the motor on a trailer in the dark.  So first thing tomorrow, I'll be back out there to bring it back home.

Jobs for tomorrow
bring the jimny back home
tiger seal the gaps in the slam panel fitment
put protective paint on the slam panel....
sweep out the workshop once it's empty
square up the remaining rent on the shed

Last edit: 22 Mar 2021 22:45 by Mike G.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

More
24 Mar 2021 00:43 - 20 Apr 2021 22:02 #233972 by Mike G
Tuesday 23rd March

Jobs done:
  • Jimny taken home on trailer and now on my drive
Well, that's it for now until some new stuff arrives in the post.  I'll potter around putting all the kit back into the engine bay (possibly minus the air con unit) and messing about with the front wings, although not much can be done until I know how much I'm cutting off for the arches.

Jobs for the next few weeks
connect all connectors
paint fuel tank
fit fuel tank when qd connection arrives
fit rear prop shaft
fit exhaust
assemble and test engine
kingpins both sides
paint front hub assemblies
check wheel bearings

I'll post an update when I get a reasonable amount of work done, however, the financial inscentive pressure is no longer there, so I won't be working massive long days at it now.  Thanks for your time folks!

Last edit: 20 Apr 2021 22:02 by Mike G.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Riccy, Scimike, Soeley

More
24 Mar 2021 16:12 #233990 by maverick
Holy Moly ... might've been easier to buy a decent donor Jimny Body ... awesome thread though

Jalapeño, IISY?

More
24 Mar 2021 16:21 #233991 by Roger Fairclough
It's as much about the satisfaction.

Roger

More
25 Mar 2021 02:45 #234004 by Mike G

maverick wrote: Holy Moly ... might've been easier to buy a decent donor Jimny Body ... awesome thread though

Probably yes, but I just thought, why not just start as my rental of the shed had started, it's already split and I already have one.

More
25 Mar 2021 02:48 #234005 by Mike G

Roger Fairclough wrote: It's as much about the satisfaction.

Roger

Definitely Roger.   Plus, I enjoy taking things apart.  Learned a few new skills along the way.

More
28 Mar 2021 16:25 #234083 by Mike G
Did a few jobs this weekend:
  • primed x4 and topcoated x2 on swivel joints
  • dismantled rusted A/C unit and cleaned it up.  No idea if it works, but it's back together again.  Perhaps a job for another day.
  • primed, painted and stone chipped fuel tank with gravitex
  • ordered stainless jubilees for fuel tank
  • made some brackets for the handbrake and ABS sensors on the rear
Just pottering away whilst the weather is good as my jimny now sits outside.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds