BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Giving the Jimny a birthday

More
31 Mar 2021 11:04 #234135 by Mike G
Replied by Mike G on topic Giving the Jimny a birthday
Yesterday 30th March
  • hot power washed jimny carpet and hung to dry
  • picked up fuel tank that was drying in a shed
  • modified ignis seats and test fitted
  • torqued body mount bolts to 60Nm

Courier arrived with a package today.  New (to me) recaro seats!  So I got busy and modified the seat adjustment bar on both.  Put them back together, tested the worked and then test fitted them.  Seems that the runners will need to be modified somehow to make them operate better as they are a couple of cm out at the rear.  I'll have to give the seats a clean as they are filthy, so I've ordered a stain cleaning vac. Torqued the body mount bolts, but left the front two and did them with a smaller ratchet as I didn't want to horse the bolt down and strip the thread out the captive nut of the new slam panel.

Today is raining, so I'm not going to bother with anything in the garage as it's full of junk at the minute and I can't get moved to work.  Rest of the week looks fine for getting on with things tho.

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Mar 2021 13:15 #234138 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Giving the Jimny a birthday
The recaros are the best modification after decent tyres.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
31 Mar 2021 13:55 #234139 by Mike G
Have to admit, I had a seat in them whilst they were on the grass before I fitted them.  I think they will definitely improve the comfort factor.

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.

More
31 Mar 2021 14:52 #234140 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Giving the Jimny a birthday
Hi Lambert / Mike,
Must admit the Recaros look good and as our Jumny is a "keeper" at some point I will need to replace or refubish the seats.
SO - What are the possible donar vehicles, Suzuki swift?
My refurbish option is these;-
www.theseatsurgeons.co.uk/shop/suzuki-jimny-leather-seats/
Yes a lot of money, but I've just seen a plastic G4 snorkel sell for a lot more, so by comparision cheap!
And I am worth it 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
31 Mar 2021 16:17 #234145 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Giving the Jimny a birthday
A/C compressor can be tested by using jump leads. Put negative to the body and +12v to the small wire terminal. It should make the clutch plate pull in and engage when voltage present. Also check it spins freely when disengaged. Shims can be added to get it sitting nice

Mike G wrote: Did a few jobs this weekend:

• primed x4 and topcoated x2 on swivel joints
  • dismantled rusted A/C unit and cleaned it up.  No idea if it works, but it's back together again.  Perhaps a job for another day.
  • primed, painted and stone chipped fuel tank with gravitex
  • ordered stainless jubilees for fuel tank
  • made some brackets for the handbrake and ABS sensors on the rear
Just pottering away whilst the weather is good as my jimny now sits outside.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
31 Mar 2021 16:56 #234146 by Roger Fairclough
Problem with the Gen.4 is that they have the central seat belt mount fixed to the seat.

Roger

More
31 Mar 2021 17:51 #234148 by Mike G

Riccy wrote: A/C compressor can be tested by using jump leads. Put negative to the body and +12v to the small wire terminal. It should make the clutch plate pull in and engage when voltage present. Also check it spins freely when disengaged. Shims can be added to get it sitting nice

Thanks Riccy,

I might just do that, sure I'll have a few wires kicking around to use. 

I have fitted the unit (plus condenser and pipes) back to the engine so that all the hose fittings are protected in the meantime.  Still don't have a 950 belt to put on as I have been running the A/C bypassed for years now.  I'm going to check the system holds a vacuum before I commit to spending more cash and do any more work on the A/C system tho.  Would be nice to have it back and running tho as the list of luxury extras on a Gen 3 is short enough as it is 

More
31 Mar 2021 18:02 #234149 by Mike G

Scimike wrote: Hi Lambert / Mike,
Must admit the Recaros look good and as our Jumny is a "keeper" at some point I will need to replace or refubish the seats.
SO - What are the possible donar vehicles, Suzuki swift?
My refurbish option is these;-
www.theseatsurgeons.co.uk/shop/suzuki-jimny-leather-seats/
Yes a lot of money, but I've just seen a plastic G4 snorkel sell for a lot more, so by comparision cheap!
And I am worth it 

The premium nappa is off my list  .  I couldn't tell you what seats fit. I did see a nice set of suzuki swift sport seats on ebay, but I didn't want to risk being left with a pair of seats I couldn't use as my garage space is at a premium just now.  They aren't recaros, but they look decent enough buckets to me, might be worth a punt unless anyone else knows different.  Worse case scenario, you re-list them on ebay. 

I paid a bit much for mine £300, but I don't mind spending money on things I'm going to spend a lot of time in, like a bed, shoes and chairs.  But if you want to pay around the same for a brand new set from the seat surgeons, you'll probably be paying around the same as I did, minus the time spent cleaning fart particulate and bogies out of them. 

Here's the link to the swift seats I saw:
Swift sport seats

The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

More
01 Apr 2021 20:38 #234173 by Mike G
Thursday 1st April

Jobs done:
  • Fitted vice to workbench to do calipers
  • removed seals, cleaned and painted calipers
  • removed seats and cleaned horrid looking grime off them

Had a couple of stuck bleed nipples in the calipers as I've not been servicing my brakes at all in the past 7 years, so had to take them to a mate with a gas torch to get some heat into the threads to remove them without snapping them off and causing myself unescessary heartache.  Which of course, wokred a treat! The spot cleaner that I ordered arrived today as I was working on the calipers, so I decided to get the seats cleaned as it was sunny (for a short while) and alternate painting callipers with cleaning seats to make two boring jobs a bit less mundane.

In the pics, the seats on the grass are dirty, the ones on the paving slabs are clean.

More
01 Apr 2021 20:47 - 01 Apr 2021 20:48 #234174 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Giving the Jimny a birthday
I didn't know Bissall made motorcycle helmets :)
Last edit: 01 Apr 2021 20:48 by Soeley.

More
01 Apr 2021 20:48 #234175 by Mike G

Soeley wrote: I didn't know Bissel made motorcycle helmets :)

New range available today only! 

More
01 Apr 2021 20:55 #234177 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Giving the Jimny a birthday

Mike G wrote:

Soeley wrote: I didn't know Bissel made motorcycle helmets :)

New range available today only! 

Aww, that sucks!

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds