BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

My green laner project

More
08 Feb 2019 09:21 #202790 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic My green laner project
Thank you again!

Yes I did wonder if it might be the same item (prob best to see if there is a visible part number on mine before parting with some beer-chits)

Thank you for those part numbers too [smiley thumbs up needed here]

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2019 10:50 #207447 by ahtr
Replied by ahtr on topic My green laner project

Car has been on a fair few laning trips now and with a trip to the Lakes planned at the weekend with a quite a few motorway miles, I thought it was about time to address a couple of small issues. Nothing too interesting but thought I'd update the thread anyway. Drivers side CV joint was starting to make a clicking noise, minor death wobble at 40-45mph, crank pulley getting a tad wobbly and PAS tensioner getting a bit rough.

Front wheel bearings were fine but changed anyway while hub was out. Old bearing pressed out

New bearing pressed in with new seals and circlip, hub nut torqued back up

Knocked out the old king pin bearing race with an old socket

Changed king pin bearings, all greased up, half shaft oil seal changed in axle, new swivel seals, 2nd hand CV fitted and bolted back together with new bolts. Pumped some new gear oil in the diff.

Next up was swapping crank pulley, should really have changed this when swapping engines. Pulled rad fan out, belts off and breaker bar on crank bolt. All stripped out

Old v new pulley (fitted a new crank bolt from bigjimny shop). New tensioner bearing pressed in (also from bigjimny shop).

Changed the engine oil and fitted a new oil filter while everything was out and gave the K&N air filter a blow through with air line.

Still got some rear wheel bearings to fit, no issues with them but not hard to change. Also going to change transfer box oil, gearbox oil and rear diff oil. Finally will check and adjust the tracking. Probably tackle that lot one night during the week now the days are getting longer B)

My green laner build
2003 Jimny - M16 engine - 4.16 TC - Winch - Snorkel - 30x9.5 Maxxis MT-764 tyres on 15x7 ET-7 offset wheels - 4" lift - Rear floating axles and discs
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: HUN, stiffsteve204me

More
08 Jan 2023 04:07 #246755 by ahtr
A while since last updated.

Around August 2020 I fitted rear floating axle kit.

Stripped down some front hubs and spindles. Fitted new wheels bearings. Cut off the vacuum hose connections and blanked off the holes to prevent water ingress. Bit of paint to tidy them up. 
​​

All bolted up. This particular kit allowed me to use parts of the Jimny bits rear disc conversion. So the Renault calipers bolted up and worked perfectly. 
​​​​​

This has been a massive improvement on the standard bearing set up since install. As it shares all of the parts with the front hubs, bearing changes are easy and only have to carry ome set of spares for the front and rear hubs.

My green laner build
2003 Jimny - M16 engine - 4.16 TC - Winch - Snorkel - 30x9.5 Maxxis MT-764 tyres on 15x7 ET-7 offset wheels - 4" lift - Rear floating axles and discs
Attachments:

More
08 Jan 2023 04:50 #246756 by ahtr
I was running 2 batteries with a split charge system. 2nd bigger battery was in Jimnybits tray. I've never been too happy with it and felt it was slightly ott running 2 batteries. Decided to remove the standard battery and just run one big battery in the Jimnybits tray. Removing the split charge system and keeping things simple. Fitted a couple of terminal posts on the inner wing in place of the original battery, mounted a small fuse box to positive terminal and the factory grounds to the other. Pic taken half way through, terminal covers fitted afterwards. 
​​​

Mid 2022, after a few laning trips the axle swivels had taken on water, which was slowly leaking brown liquid on my garage floor. Was probably time for a front axle rebuild.

Wheels and brakes off, shocks and springs out, axle off, diff out. Axle truss welded on. I decided to remove the Jimnybits diff guard and fitted a HM4x4 weld on guard instead. This is a lot lower profile and has probably gained 25mm extra ground clearance over the bolt on guard. Coat of black paint and axle back on the car. All new king pin bearings, wheel bearings, diff oil etc.
​​​
At the same time I did a quick engine oil and filter change, t/case oil and gearbox oil.

This brings it up to date. Few laning trips planned in for this year now. I'm just waiting on parts to delivered for a front vented brake disc conversion, should be here in the next week. May also rebuild rear axle with truss and diff guard when I find time. 

My green laner build
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds