Vehicles (17 Jan 2019)
You can now add the vehicles you own to your profile as little icons that appear in your profile and alongside your posts.
This is a bit of an experiment. Take a look under the "REWARDS" menu across the top of the screen for the vehicles "ADD/MODIFY" option.
Let me know how you get on.
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!
My green laner project
My second Jimny I've owned, this one will be a keeper so want to do it right.
Picked it up looking like this...
First job was rear lights not working. It had a towbar fitted and the wiring had been hacked to bits. Pulled towbar off and basically remade rear light wiring loom. All working spot on now!
Stripped front and rear bumpers off, wheel arch liners out, spent a few hours pressure washing everywhere while the weather was nice, gave it a couple of days to dry out, cleaned all the metal up and painted. Chassis all got coated with underseal. It's all surprisingly solid. Some light surface rust but no major corrosion. Snorkel fitted while arch liners and air box were out.
Marked up ready for drilling...
Front off and painted. Behind back bumper got the same treatment.
Stripped all the seats, carpets and plastics out. Inside floor cleaned, painted before plastics back in.
Fitted Subaru Impreza seats I picked up months ago and had waiting to use, have experienced Jimny seats before and knew they weren't for me. Rear seats being left out and will ply line the rear floor.
Brake pedal was nearly touching the floor and exhaust snapped just in front of cat. Picked up new exhaust and got that on (doesn't sound like a tractor any more). Fitted new discs and pads, will have a rear disc conversion at some point soon but stuck new rear shoes in for now and adjusted up. Fitted extended brake lines at the same time in preparation for a lift and bled everything through.
Bought five 15x7 steel rims with -7 offset ages ago. Had these fitted with 30x9.5 Maxxis MT-764's ready to go on when the lift is fitted
- Posts: 2450
- Thank you received: 433
- Points: 304.00
I've got a plan of where I'm going with it so I've had a stash of parts building up before I even bought the car
Oils now changed. Engine oil was looking pretty awful so running some cheap oil through for 50 miles to flush through then changing to some decent stuff.
Gearbox and diff oils done. Had some new diff plugs ready from bigjimny shop, ended up taking last ones out with a chisel.
Started on extended breathers too. Manifold fixed with a couple of rivnuts, hose on left heads up the snorkel.
Diffs tapped and screwed in some 6mm push fit 1/8 BSP 90deg elbows (before I changed the oil, incase any swaft dropped in). Gearbox one nice and simple, pulled off the standard small rubber pipe...
In goes a 6mm push fit adapter
Then back on to gearbox with some 6mm hose into breather manifold
How did the Impreza seats fit? Alot of work?
Not too bad, easier than expected. The frames are quite low on them which helped, bit of chopping and a few brackets made up with some 6mm flat bar and 50mm box. Was just a case of offering them up and see what worked.
- Posts: 1176
- Thank you received: 203
- Points: 1003.00
Have you something in mind for gearing changes for the 30" tyres? You will be forever burning through clutches without changing something!
For the tyres you have a rocklobster box is a little too high geared (1.5 in high, 4.3 low) for road, but ideal for greenlaning. Another cheaper option would be to swap the diffs to later vvt ones as these are a higher ratio
and while the diff is out it would be rude not to think about fitting a locker
- Posts: 3588
- Thank you received: 520
- Points: 3974.00
Gold Jimny the best colour (sold)
Big red Jimny now. 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc.
Also grey pick up nearly finished.
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS
Lift fitted. Rear ORA radius arms from Martin. New front and rear radius arm bushes from bigjimny shop. Went with standard type rather than poly. Got a 12ton press in garage so fitting was no issue
Went for pro comp shocks, 4" springs, adjustable panhards with poly bushes and front radius arms. Which all came from James (aka j999pre). Rockwatt supplied rear spring clamps.
One of the radius arm chassis mounts looked like it'd had an encounter with a rock, had to get the oxy-acet out to get that back in to shape. Fitted some JB radius arm guards and rear shock guards while everything was getting changed. Every nut and bolt changed for new ones too, save any issues when it needs pulling apart in the future.
Pulled off the front anti roll bar, seems to be some mixed views on here about it, but going to give it a try.
Just need some extended bump stops and suspect I'm going to have to hack some plastic/metal away from the wheel arches...
Finished diff breathers, ran hoses with some stainless p-clips along radius arms. Then up to the manifold.