BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
23 Aug 2017 17:47 #183582 by Riccy
Lols! i would have thought with your use/abuse you give, it would have snapped the axle open by now?! :-D I agree the standard arm mounts are woefully thin, guess i havent got as far as breaking mine yet ;-)

Phil - did you do fit a circlip on the chat when it went into the CV? I missed it and stripped a TG HD shaft end right up with the airlocker!

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The topic has been locked.
More
23 Aug 2017 23:01 #183601 by X8GGY

Gazguzzler wrote: Although I have superpro bushes all round, I do wonder if they are too stiff and causing too much wear on the axle plates. Perhaps genuine ones (although not as long lasting) would be kinder as they are more flexible?

Thoughts?

Phil

PS Got the HD shafts fitted - but had to use one of the used CV's, as the new one was a too tight on the shaft.

LOL.... it was Phil who bought the Rob Storr front 26 spline HD shafts off me, and contacted me with a request for fitting advice when we were high above Portmeirion whilst greenlaning on Sunday -

So, I CB'ed the others to say we were pulling over to respond to a cry for help... ;)

Hmmm, interesting thought as Brett "Maverick" is also abandoning poly bushes and going back to stock rubber bushes?....

Riccy wrote: Lols! i would have thought with your use/abuse you give, it would have snapped the axle open by now?! :-D I agree the standard arm mounts are woefully thin, guess i havent got as far as breaking mine yet ;-)

Phil - did you do fit a circlip on the chat when it went into the CV? I missed it and stripped a TG HD shaft end right up with the airlocker!

Yes, more the axle to radius arm mounts I want to beef up rather than trussing the actual axle itself? But your thoughts on the TG HD shafts rings true if indeed the axle casing itself is bent? Perhaps the braced and trussed replacement axle will fix this then?....

Time will tell?! ;)
More
03 Sep 2017 21:28 - 03 Sep 2017 21:32 #183846 by X8GGY
Blog of our Greenlane Driving Day in Snowdonia with GLASS yesterday -

greenlaning.blog/2017/09/03/glass-snowdonia-driving-day-020917/

I've developed a fault in that the T-Max Split Charge system has ceased to function, so the second winch / auxiliary battery wasn't getting charged on our last trip to the Lleyn Peninsula, so before I left on this trip I switched the manual battery link on with a battery switch I fitted four years ago, but that too doesn't seem to work anymore either?! :( So I ended up with no CB or Winches, and had to splice a cable in to the engine battery to run the ARB compressor and switching electrics to get the rear air locker working for the day... so more remedial work to do! :(

Not a bad trip though, despite some bad route advice from the GLASS Rep' ?!?!?!

Last edit: 03 Sep 2017 21:32 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert
  • Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Sep 2017 04:03 #183848 by Lambert
Some lovely scenery and no mistake.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
More
04 Sep 2017 08:22 #183853 by maverick
A great day out with GLASS - and maybe we should attend as many meetings as we can to promote our Jimny group, and that GLASS isnt just for Land Rovers. Many Thanks to Dafed Taylor for organising this. It was a real shame that there must be hundreds of GLASS Members in the North West and there was only mabye a dozen turned up. Thanks to Tom in his RED 90 for leading in the morning, who claimed he had driven Hendry up and down (but he didnt want to come with us on our next trip there, on 17th September. We have three spaces up for grabs if anyone wants to 4x4 in the Tight and Scratchy lanes of North Wales, to include the now infmour Henryd (we prefer you to have a winch - probably not use it, but Henryd changes every trip we do).

Jalapeño, IISY?
More
11 Sep 2017 10:27 #183996 by X8GGY
A bit of TLC yesterday...

On the last few trips I've had electrical problems :( I'd replaced the ARB Compressor and the Odyssey PC1200 Winch and auxillary Battery, only to find that it was the T-Max Solenoid on the Split Charge system that had gone... So I sold the new ARB Compressor, taking a small loss on it, and then...

Ordered and replaced the T-Max Solenoid, the new ones ticks over nice and loud and proud
Refitted the Odyssey PC Battery
Replaced the three isolator switches, they were the cheap ones with the red keys, they are now still reasonable but fully sealed T-bar switches
(Top one is the manual battery link switch in the off position, the other two are the front and rear winch isolator switches - on in the photo)

I then turned my attention to the ground anchor -

Which, after having a stricken Land Rover Discovery hanging off it was well and truly twisted, and the welds had cracked :(

I'd originally asked a mate to take it into work and straighten it with some heat, but looking at it again I thought it was beyond repair... So I cut off the straight bits...

And welded new parts on where necessary... the arm is 30x80mm box with the 15mm original bracket welded into it... and then I welded 6x70mm plate over the top of the box so that it extended over the box underneath and welded it to both the middle of the spade's "hinge" and onto the 15mm handle bit...

Strong enough for a Jimny, but I won't be volunteering it's use for a Disco' again ;)

All hammerited black and ready to go back behind my driver's seat...

I just want to add a piece of chain between the top two corners of the spade to strengthen it up when it's folded out...
Attachments:
  • Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Sep 2017 05:11 #184043 by Lambert
Loving the battery retention device!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
More
12 Sep 2017 07:32 #184046 by X8GGY

11/60 wrote: Loving the battery retention device!

Rat-Shit Strap! ;)
More
18 Sep 2017 22:20 - 18 Sep 2017 22:22 #184240 by X8GGY
A fantastic days greenlaning yesterday, here's the blog -

greenlaning.blog/2017/09/18/north-wales-170917/

Winching up Henryd for a change... Thanks to Dave "the Handyman" for the photo, and many more...

Brett winching too... a long time since we've had to resort to the ropes! ;)

Whoops... more repairs needed ;)

Well and truly stuck... we left him there in the end... ;)

Collecting more wood!

And BUZZ my cordless chainsaw was called into action a few times!

Enjoy the blog! ;)
Last edit: 18 Sep 2017 22:22 by X8GGY.
  • gaz3359
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2017 07:58 #184246 by gaz3359
Replied by gaz3359 on topic Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...
Great to see you guys still at it and the blogs are still coming looked a good one that !
More
19 Sep 2017 09:44 #184252 by X8GGY
Bloody typical! Smashed the rear offside rear light -

And I've got two nearside in the spares bin in the garage...

Time to message James J999PRE Priestly... ;)
More
19 Sep 2017 11:57 #184253 by X8GGY
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds