BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

More
28 Mar 2016 19:19 #164542 by X8GGY

OllieNZ wrote: It could be a flaw in the mounting that's preventing them floating. It's an issue we suffer a lot on the aircraft at work. Could be something simple like copperslip plus brake dust and heat = solid mass or something a bit more subtle like a brake line pulling the caliper in one direction or another. It doesn't take much external pressure to twist on the caliper to cause the pins to bind and stop it floating. Maybe worth another look at the installation if it still uses the stock park brake cables they could be causing the issue especially during articulation

Hmmm... will have a good stare at it all when it's back together, thanks Ollie! B)
The topic has been locked.
More
28 Mar 2016 19:21 #164543 by X8GGY

wombat wrote: You could swap the pads over after every couple of trips out so they wear evenly :)

Hopefully the shims should stop it Wombat, but I'll keep an eye on the pads and swap them / report back over time... ;)
  • OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Mar 2016 19:23 #164544 by OllieNZ
Replied by OllieNZ on topic Re:Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...
I should add if they do bind on the pins it can take manually squaring them up again to get them to unbind.
  • GraphicX
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Mar 2016 03:35 #164624 by GraphicX
Replied by GraphicX on topic Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...
were your sliders seized (possibly open) ? did you have rubber grease on them ?
More
30 Mar 2016 10:45 #164636 by maverick

GraphicX wrote: were your sliders seized (possibly open) ? did you have rubber grease on them ?

The thing is, in our little Jimny group, about 3-4 of us have the same set-up and we're all experiencing the same problem. To that end, JiumnyBits is on the case, and we're working on a solution - watch this space.

Jalapeño, IISY?
More
31 Mar 2016 10:48 #164691 by X8GGY
Shims arrived B)

Same shape as the end of the driveshafts -

Ta'Da! -

That should sort it? B)
Attachments:
More
31 Mar 2016 21:24 #164718 by kirkynut
Do you drive through mud enough to get it in drums just from laning Dave?

I've retained my drums as I don't think they're too much of an issue just on lanes.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
More
31 Mar 2016 21:41 #164719 by jackonlyjack
More
01 Apr 2016 08:03 #164729 by X8GGY

kirkynut wrote: Do you drive through mud enough to get it in drums just from laning Dave?

I've retained my drums as I don't think they're too much of an issue just on lanes.

Kirkynut

Suppose not, but it seemed a good worthwhile mod', and it was shiney! ;)

jackonlyjack wrote: are they steel or alloy and how thick ? ;)

Jack

Profile cut 2mm steel that's been plated...
More
01 Apr 2016 09:24 #164730 by maverick

kirkynut wrote: Do you drive through mud enough to get it in drums just from laning Dave?

Kirkynut

The "real" benefit of the Disc Conversion is that changing Half Shafts is now a 15mins job per side and cleaning rear end after a trip and checking Disc Pad is 5mins ... and you get a real working handbrake!

Jalapeño, IISY?
More
04 Apr 2016 13:26 - 04 Apr 2016 13:30 #164842 by X8GGY
Where were we...? ;)

Sunday morning, after a lie-in, all the parts ready in the garage...

"Strawberry Jam"

Diff back in, prop back on...

Shaft(s) back in, Disk shims on the end(s)

Carriers and pads on...

Pistons wound back in...

Everything cleaned and reassembled...

Diff refilled...

Test Drive!

Went to my Mum's for a cuppa first, and felt the diff and brakes for excess warmth... all ok... So decided to take in a couple of local 'lanes on the way back...

When....

NOOOoooo!... :(

The transfer box appeared to go into four wheel drive low, the four wheel drive light flashed on the dashboard... But, then, I could tell I only had rear wheel drive again, as the rear wheels were spinning as I climbed the 'lane I was on...

I stopped and tried to re-select ratios on the transfer lever, but it was again 'locked-up', as it had done on "The Bastard Lane" in Machynlleth... that had passed all the power to the back wheels, and as I tried to climb "The Waterfall", that's what caused my rear shaft to shear... :(

So, luckily!, I was close to home, and just had to limp a couple of miles home...

In two wheel drive low, fifth gear, doing 20mph max! LOL!

So this morning, after a flurry of emails to and from Redacted ...

We decided the best course of action was to take the two-wheel-drive low mod out of the box, so...

Out it comes, packed up, and on an AM delivery to Scunthorpe tomorrow...

I left the fastenings and tools under the Jim', ready for refitting it soon... as we're hopefully off to a "Return to the Bastard" on the 17th of April... IF my Jimny is ready, and also Brett's / Maverick's is undergoing repairs as we speak...

Ah well, it's all good fun... we have to have a hobby don't we?! LOL :woohoo:
Last edit: 04 Apr 2016 13:30 by X8GGY.
  • Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Apr 2016 13:51 #164845 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...
fingers crossed for you Dave that's very unfortunate :blink:
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds