BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

More
09 Dec 2015 09:22 #158163 by X8GGY
I won't be installing the gears myself, that's Redacted 's job as he's the expert... ;)

Not sure what the actual gears cost, as mine is being supplied with a special bucket mount, a 2WD-Low option and all the proper flanges, and a speedo cog cut to match my 31" tyres...

You'd have to ask our-Rockwatt about pricing... you can get him on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 07921 222635. (+44 7921 222635)

Dave B)
The topic has been locked.
More
09 Dec 2015 09:23 #158164 by X8GGY

Zook123 wrote: Been following this on Bits4Vits now for years, it's an epic build, and inspiration for my Build!

Keep it up Dave! B) B)

Mini-ME ! :woohoo:

Glad to be an inspiration for my little twin brother.... ;)
  • TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Dec 2015 10:21 #158167 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

S200KYS wrote: I won't be installing the gears myself, that's Redacted 's job as he's the expert... ;)

Not sure what the actual gears cost, as mine is being supplied with a special bucket mount, a 2WD-Low option and all the proper flanges, and a speedo cog cut to match my 31" tyres...

You'd have to ask our-Rockwatt about pricing... you can get him on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 07921 222635. (+44 7921 222635)

Dave B)

Thanks Dave :)

Already have Richard on Facebook. Have talked to him before about other ratios.. Just never seen this 4.87 :)

A new bucket, sounds interesting. Is it the one with the 360 spine thing?
More
09 Dec 2015 13:49 - 09 Dec 2015 13:52 #158169 by X8GGY

TomDK wrote: Thanks Dave :)

Already have Richard on Facebook. Have talked to him before about other ratios.. Just never seen this 4.87 :)

4.87:1, and more particularly the 1.63:1 high side will suit my new tyres best, hence going for these over the existing rocklobster I have fitted, the 6.x:1 are more expensive, and possibly a bit low for greenlaning in the UK (more suited to rockcrawling Samurais?), so I plumbed for these...

Also, these (4.87) are new gears too, not re-manufactured gears as in the traditional rocklobster...

360o spine? Errr... :whistle: ;)

:woohoo:
Last edit: 09 Dec 2015 13:52 by X8GGY.
More
09 Dec 2015 14:41 #158173 by X8GGY
Well, after abandoning the EX-Jimny buggy build, I found myself with a spare set of brand new Maxxis Trepadors in 31" x 10.5" flavour, so it seemed a shame to waste them, or sell them at a loss... :(

So I bought another set of ET-30 offset black modulars from that nice man Russ at JimnyBits, and had the Maxxis tyres fitted to them - notice the lack of weights!! ;)

And then some Defender wheel arches went on...

That'll cover the tyres and make them legal, and stop so much mud flying up and over the Jimny!

Other side...

Stainless bolts and washers, with another washer and a nyloc nut behind...

I then took the angle grinder to the front ORA bumper!

That's better, room for the tyres to articulate up...

Silver body panels removed... so the sill bars look a little "out on a limb"
All ready for another day's greenlaning on Sunday though, that's the main thing!

I'll repaint the bumpers black in the near future...
  • Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Dec 2015 15:28 #158175 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...
Dave that looks much better!!! love the arches and the sill bars sticking out a bit more when you paint your bumpers it will be perfect ;) I'm very jealous :P

P.s don't forget to show gusthegorilla your new set of BLACK rims :evil: :whistle:
More
09 Dec 2015 16:25 #158176 by gusthegorilla

P.s don't forget to show gusthegorilla your new set of BLACK rims :evil: :whistle:

Seen them already, and I think they look terrific Dave :woohoo: :woohoo:

On a more serious note, I DO like the wheel arch extensions...are these freely available??

Keep up the good work, mate, the Jim's putting on some real muscle now ;)

Gus :)

I'm planning to live forever.....so far, so good !!
More
09 Dec 2015 17:46 #158191 by X8GGY
Land Rover +2" Defender Arches

Cut with a slitting disk in the angle grinder, and warmed a bit to get the right flex with a hot air gun... B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: gusthegorilla
  • TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Dec 2015 17:55 - 09 Dec 2015 17:56 #158193 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

S200KYS wrote:

TomDK wrote: Thanks Dave :)

4.87:1, and more particularly the 1.63:1 high side will suit my new tyres best, hence going for these over the existing rocklobster I have fitted, the 6.x:1 are more expensive, and possibly a bit low for greenlaning in the UK (more suited to rockcrawling Samurais?), so I plumbed for these...

Also, these (4.87) are new gears too, not re-manufactured gears as in the traditional rocklobster...

360o spine? Errr... :whistle: ;)

:woohoo:

Like this :)

Last edit: 09 Dec 2015 17:56 by TomDK.
  • suzukisam
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Dec 2015 20:29 - 09 Dec 2015 20:32 #158200 by suzukisam
Replied by suzukisam on topic Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...
Looks better now dave will definitely look better with black bumpers looks like mine now. I've got some zuki Andy arches in garage think you have inspired me to fit this weekend
What's next 1.6 ??
Last edit: 09 Dec 2015 20:32 by suzukisam.
  • gaz3359
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Dec 2015 20:50 #158201 by gaz3359
Replied by gaz3359 on topic Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...
Looks so much better without the silver I often keep thinking about changing the silver but then think whats the point with it been a laner.defender arches look great,be good to hear feedback on tyres as I like those.
More
09 Dec 2015 22:24 #158205 by X8GGY

suzukisam wrote: Looks better now dave will definitely look better with black bumpers looks like mine now. I've got some zuki Andy arches in garage think you have inspired me to fit this weekend
What's next 1.6 ??

Nah, no engine upgrade for me, rather do it with the gearing, hence the new transfer box on the way... ;)

gaz3359 wrote: Looks so much better without the silver I often keep thinking about changing the silver but then think whats the point with it been a laner.defender arches look great,be good to hear feedback on tyres as I like those.

Hmmm, yes, but I quite liked the silver, but couldn't continue it when the black Defender arches went on... kinda think a black lower half would look good now though?... we'll see... but as you say, it's a 'laner and will inevitably get (more) scratches... ;)

I originally had smaller Maxxis Trepadors on this Jimny, they were sold to Martin for his son's Jim'... very nice on the road, we'll see how the big ones perform offroad... interesting to note that Rob Butler from the ORA is running hooge ones on his race buggy these days?...
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds