A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

51 Plate Jimny Poor Start / Will not run after lay up.

  • stimpy
  • Topic Author
  • New Member
  • New Member
    Public
More
12 Mar 2022 20:47 - 12 Mar 2022 21:09 #242275 by stimpy
Hi there folks,

Just recommissioning my Jimny. I reckon it last started around 4 years ago and preceding that had stood for probably 1.5 years..

This has no doubt been covered in these pages before but for me the search engine on the site is not taking me to relevant topics sadly...

Initially it didn't even contemplate starting so I did all the usual; cleaned plugs, checked for sparks, drained old fuel and put new stuff in.. Cleaned a few connectors too... After that we made a little progress..

Currently , on cranking it speeds up trying to kick then eventually starts on a low forced idle ( Like its being held back) and runs for around 4/5 seconds then cuts out. If you add throttle it cuts out sooner. To me it "feels" like the timing is retarded or it is over fueling - though with the latter one can generally add throttle in blips I find.

Anything obvious here before I start taking things apart?..

Thanks In Advance

 
Last edit: 12 Mar 2022 21:09 by stimpy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Lambert
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
    Registered
  • The best Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Mar 2022 06:22 #242277 by Lambert
The fact it's trying is a good start. I would systematically begin with one system and follow it through beginning to end eg is the fuel pump providing a suitable flow to the engine bay, once there is that fuel able to get to the injectors, are they providing a good pattern etc. The same for the electrical system and the induction and exhaust paths. Like you said it's been waiting for over 5 years so it's all going to need going through eventually the trick is to be methodical.

Temeraire R.E.D Retired Extremely Dangerous

Bellerophon daily dose of disappointment.

Leviathan 155 prado shortie. Aka the biggest small car in the world.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2022 08:27 #242278 by Scimike
As said, a systematic approach is the answer. The fuel side of things is most likely, petrol turns to gum and corrodes if left for long periods, so pump,fuel line injectors etc all need to be checked and clean.
Sounds like it wants to go though..

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2022 09:16 #242279 by LesNewell
Does it have an OBD port? In the UK it's under the dash on the diver's side near the transmission tunnel. If so it's well worth plugging in a code reader. You can get cheap Bluetooth OBD readers that work with a free app on your phone.

Struggling to start and dying when you touch the throttle could well be low fuel pressure. It's unlikely to be timing. In my experience if you have a timing sensor issue it will either run fine and throw a code or refuse to start.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2022 16:29 #242288 by RainerK
I would also go for the fuel system first. Drain as much as possible first and then fill 5 l of alkylate based petrol. Next remove the hose as close as possible to the injectors and flush the fuel system and refill the then fuel-alkylate-mixture back into the tank. Next would be to start, maybe multiple times until you have the feeling that the mixture is also in the injectors. Then wait two days or a week and try to start again.

When I know that an engine will not be operated for some time I use alkylate based petrol because it will not age as much and it also is not hygroscopic and ignites much better and also has a tendency to dissolve gumming.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • stimpy
  • Topic Author
  • New Member
  • New Member
    Public
More
14 Mar 2022 12:27 #242312 by stimpy
Thanks chaps.

It certainly needs a thorough going through anyway which I am doing…

I emptied the original fuel on the pump and it certainly had decent flow IMO. Injector spray pattern was one of my concerns - I know fuel is getting there as the plugs have been wet on the non starts , and equally wet I would say…

I hear you re the timing, that is my general experience though I have had a couple other sensors play up on other vehicles cause issues before - though often it is due to heat or damage…

Will check if I’ve an OBD .

Just feels like an odd one - my gut says something simple….

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds
Joomla template by a4joomla
We use cookies to give you the best online experience. Please let us know if you agree to all of these cookies. Accepting the Cookies also accepts the Disclaimers for the website.