A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.
Still no 4wd... any suggestions please
- Jimnycope
- Topic Author
- New Member
-

Public
Less
More
- Thank you received: 0
13 Dec 2021 14:15 - 13 Dec 2021 14:16 #240610
by Jimnycope
Still no 4wd... any suggestions please was created by Jimnycope
Hi guys, I've recently purchased a 2009 Jimny. I've done alot of work on the car already and solved alot of issues, but for the life of me I cant get the 4wd to work. I'm hoping someone might be able to help. its a complicated one.
All the buttons for 4wd and 4wd_L work fine, they both select on the dash as they should.
When pressing the 4wd buttons I can hear the "click" of the hubs - all good signs.
But no 4wd...
After some routing around I found that all the vacuum pipes on the drivers side were completely rotten through, and some suspect ones on the passenger side. So I've replaced all of those using silicone boost pipe.
This made no difference, all the buttons and lights on the dash are fine, and I can still hear the clicking of the vac hubs.
So then I'm thinking, perhaps its a front CV thats gone, so I stripped down both front hubs and removed both driveshafts and CVs, on inspection both CVs and shafts are in perfect condition, so I cleaned them, re-greased and put it back together.
When I jack the car up one front wheel at a time, with 4wd selected both front wheels can easily spin freely by hand, so its not engaging somewhere.
I've had the car up on 4 axle stands and had it in 4wd and in gear, again no drive to the front wheels, but the centre prop does engage and disengage when coming in and out of 4wd.
Would this point to a knackered front driff?
or have I missed something.
Any help is appreciated.
Cheers,
James.
All the buttons for 4wd and 4wd_L work fine, they both select on the dash as they should.
When pressing the 4wd buttons I can hear the "click" of the hubs - all good signs.
But no 4wd...
After some routing around I found that all the vacuum pipes on the drivers side were completely rotten through, and some suspect ones on the passenger side. So I've replaced all of those using silicone boost pipe.
This made no difference, all the buttons and lights on the dash are fine, and I can still hear the clicking of the vac hubs.
So then I'm thinking, perhaps its a front CV thats gone, so I stripped down both front hubs and removed both driveshafts and CVs, on inspection both CVs and shafts are in perfect condition, so I cleaned them, re-greased and put it back together.
When I jack the car up one front wheel at a time, with 4wd selected both front wheels can easily spin freely by hand, so its not engaging somewhere.
I've had the car up on 4 axle stands and had it in 4wd and in gear, again no drive to the front wheels, but the centre prop does engage and disengage when coming in and out of 4wd.
Would this point to a knackered front driff?
or have I missed something.
Any help is appreciated.
Cheers,
James.
Last edit: 13 Dec 2021 14:16 by Jimnycope.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
13 Dec 2021 16:06 #240614
by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Still no 4wd... any suggestions please
What are you describing as the "center prop"?
There should be three "propeller shafts" - a short jack shaft between the transmission (gearbox) and the transfer case and two longer ones from the transfer case to the axles.
Since you have the facility to run the vehicle with all four wheels off the ground, I would suggest you remove the front hubs so you can see the ends of the front half shafts and then run the vehicle in 4H - if the half shafts turn you're probably good from the transfer case all the way out to the hubs.
There should be three "propeller shafts" - a short jack shaft between the transmission (gearbox) and the transfer case and two longer ones from the transfer case to the axles.
Since you have the facility to run the vehicle with all four wheels off the ground, I would suggest you remove the front hubs so you can see the ends of the front half shafts and then run the vehicle in 4H - if the half shafts turn you're probably good from the transfer case all the way out to the hubs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimnycope
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
13 Dec 2021 23:42 #240629
by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Still no 4wd... any suggestions please
Put in in 4wd then remove both hubs and check the position of the sliding collars. Both should be in the inwards position, e.g. closest to the centre of the axle if they were fitted to the car. You need both hubs to be engaged to get drive to the front wheels.
I would be very surprised if the diff has failed without giving away some clues such as horrible noises or lumps of metal in the oil. Have you drained the oil?
I would be very surprised if the diff has failed without giving away some clues such as horrible noises or lumps of metal in the oil. Have you drained the oil?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimnycope
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Jimnycope
- Topic Author
- New Member
-

Public
Less
More
- Thank you received: 0
14 Dec 2021 09:39 #240634
by Jimnycope
Replied by Jimnycope on topic Still no 4wd... any suggestions please
Sorry I wasn't very clear. The prop that goes to the front diff spins when 4wd is engaged.
thanks
thanks
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Jimnycope
- Topic Author
- New Member
-

Public
Less
More
- Thank you received: 0
14 Dec 2021 09:41 #240635
by Jimnycope
Replied by Jimnycope on topic Still no 4wd... any suggestions please
That's fantastic advice thank you. This will be my next port of call. I need to double check the lines on the passenger side, it could well be that they have suffered from rust too.
And yes, there no noises or anything from the front diff at all, no drained the oil yet.
I'll double check the sliding collars and all the vac lines again.
Many thanks
And yes, there no noises or anything from the front diff at all, no drained the oil yet.
I'll double check the sliding collars and all the vac lines again.
Many thanks
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 Dec 2021 17:47 #240649
by bryn
Replied by bryn on topic Still no 4wd... any suggestions please
I had a very similar problem some time ago and found one of the vacuum hubs was faulty which is easy to check by engaging the 4wd and taking off the hubs to see which is engaging.
bryn
bryn
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.478 seconds
