A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Two 4x4s and no go with lots of snow!

More
28 Nov 2021 21:12 #240377 by facade
Have you checked the front?

My old Jimny had a noise from the back axle. Definitely the back axle. Sitting in the back it was miles louder and still coming from behind.


I fitted new rear wheel bearings- no change
I swapped the diff out- no change.
New propshaft spider- no change

I gave up.

A few weeks later the brake pedal started going to the floor, but would pump up. A front wheelbearing had collapsed, and the wobbly disc was pushing the pads right off using up the pedal travel to clamp the disc again.

Fitted the new bearing, and the noise from the back went.

 

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2021 21:27 #240379 by LesNewell
Maybe a bent rear brake backplate or a stone trapped in there?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • New Member
  • New Member
    Public
More
29 Nov 2021 07:50 - 29 Nov 2021 09:05 #240381 by Sean65
Replied by Sean65 on topic Two 4x4s and no go with lots of snow!
Backplates seem fine. I have had the brakes apart. I like the idea of back to front noise transmission. When the snow goes maybe i will jack up the front.
Thanks for the answers thus far.
It almost needs somebody walking beside as i drive up the road.

was you noise constant or just in one place as the wheels rotated as a matter of interest? 
Last edit: 29 Nov 2021 09:05 by Sean65.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2021 16:36 #240394 by maverick
Get ALL 4 wheels off the ground - aka put it on Jack Stands, put it into Low box and 1st gear. and get all 4 wheels rotating.

The ONLY way to check a UJ is to get the Propshaft OFF and feel the play.

I'd remove both rear half shafts and get the Diff out and check that Crown and Pinion has no teeth removed. Removing Diff's will also allow to you check shafts and Brakes.

Jalapeño, IISY?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • New Member
  • New Member
    Public
More
29 Nov 2021 19:29 #240397 by Sean65
Replied by Sean65 on topic Two 4x4s and no go with lots of snow!
That’s a plan with all four wheel up at the same time. I fear you maybe right. I may have to bite the bullet and pull the half shaft. Perhaps an inspection of the diff oil. It should indicate something. .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2021 19:40 #240399 by LesNewell

was you noise constant or just in one place as the wheels rotated as a matter of interest? 
 
I've had stones jammed in the backplate on drum braked vehicles a couple of times. It is generally a grinding noise that is either constant or pulsing as the wheel rotates. My trials car was particularly prone to this until I fitted discs all round.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.387 seconds
Joomla template by a4joomla