A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.
road spring position
04 Sep 2021 06:30 #238201
by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic road spring position
No idea about colours but this is the setup with standard springs:
Both front springs are the same and are about 40mm longer than the rears. I would suggest these are the middle 2 in your picture.
The 2 shortest springs are for the rear. You will find that one is made of thinner wire and has fewer coils (2nd from right in your picture). This goes on the nearside rear. the other is offside rear.
Don't confuse this with lift kits, where they usually use a longer spring on the OS front.
Both front springs are the same and are about 40mm longer than the rears. I would suggest these are the middle 2 in your picture.
The 2 shortest springs are for the rear. You will find that one is made of thinner wire and has fewer coils (2nd from right in your picture). This goes on the nearside rear. the other is offside rear.
Don't confuse this with lift kits, where they usually use a longer spring on the OS front.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Less
More
- Posts: 9991
- Thank you received: 1999
04 Sep 2021 08:56 #238203
by Lambert
Temeraire R.E.D Retired Extremely Dangerous
Bellerophon daily dose of disappointment.
Leviathan 155 prado shortie. Aka the biggest small car in the world.
Replied by Lambert on topic road spring position
When I was playing with lowering Dreadnaught the two front springs were definitely different lengths?
Temeraire R.E.D Retired Extremely Dangerous
Bellerophon daily dose of disappointment.
Leviathan 155 prado shortie. Aka the biggest small car in the world.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Baloo
- Topic Author
- New Member
-

Public
Less
More
- Thank you received: 0
04 Sep 2021 17:14 #238217
by Baloo
Replied by Baloo on topic road spring position
When I was playing with lowering Dreadnaught the two front springs were definitely different lengths?
sounds right to me, the steering box, the driver, and the transfer box are all on the offside so i would think it would be taller to start with, has anyone got the length of a set of springs of the car ? just to check i havent got a vitara rear by accident
thanks Andy
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- jackonlyjack
-
- Offline
- Platinum Member
-

Registered
Less
More
- Posts: 3111
- Thank you received: 707
05 Sep 2021 09:30 #238230
by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic road spring position
I agree with what Busta is saying
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
05 Sep 2021 21:15 #238259
by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic road spring position
I'd say the 2 left springs are Vitara springs. I can see from the pictures that 2 right hand springs perfectly match every pair of standard rear springs I've ever removed from a Jimny, that is both the same length but one with fewer coils and thinner wire. The fronts are always identical unless it's an aftermarket lift (and quite possibly lowering) kit.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Less
More
- Posts: 9991
- Thank you received: 1999
12 Sep 2021 05:07 #238499
by Lambert
Temeraire R.E.D Retired Extremely Dangerous
Bellerophon daily dose of disappointment.
Leviathan 155 prado shortie. Aka the biggest small car in the world.
Replied by Lambert on topic road spring position
I wish to offer my apologies for misleading the group. I was under Temeraire yesterday and looking at the springs and Busta and Jack are correct the fronts are the same. Also I noticed that the nsf on mine is 1 purple and 1 white splodge.
Temeraire R.E.D Retired Extremely Dangerous
Bellerophon daily dose of disappointment.
Leviathan 155 prado shortie. Aka the biggest small car in the world.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds
