A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

How certain accessories affect fuel economy and vehicle handling/performance

More
26 Jul 2021 16:22 #237003 by Roger Fairclough
Any increase in weight will require a corresponding increase in power to move it and this includes moving the object at a constant speed.

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Lambert
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
    Registered
  • The best Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Jul 2021 18:35 #237012 by Lambert
Got to be a fun spong here and ask the most obvious question, are you wanting or needing the items? I would argue that the long range tank could be a useful tool, but a steel bumper would to my mind be a bit like towing a caravan every day of the year so you have it ready on the fortnight you actually need it. Same issue for the roof system. Don't get me wrong I have cross bars bolted on my roof permanently even though they cost me fuel but it's Monday and I have already had 3 different items on the roof this week so it makes sense. Also as a shepherd I could make a reasonable argument for having a steel bumper it could be quite useful but the increase in weight would definitely limit my ability to travel on soft ground cleanly so I don't have one. One has to be pragmatic and realistic.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
R.E.D Retired Extremely Dangerous
Bellerophon (2024 grello van) daily dose of disappointment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2021 16:30 #237045 by Busta
Every modification will compromise the car in one way or another. If you are fitting the parts because you need the functionality then the slight increase in fuel economy is of no significance. If you are fitting (expensive?) parts just for looks but are worried about the extra cost of fuel then you probably need to re-asses your priorities.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • LMcRae
  • Topic Author
  • New Member
  • New Member
    Public
More
28 Jul 2021 02:37 #237066 by LMcRae
Thanks a lot for all of your helpful replies! It's giving me a bit more of an idea about what to expect if I go ahead and get those accessories.

Cheers,
Lachlan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2021 08:06 #237070 by 300bhpton

Every modification will compromise the car in one way or another.
I guess this is all a matter of perspective. As in many cases I think you could also say every modification is also an enhancement of some kind.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds
Joomla template by a4joomla
We use cookies to give you the best online experience. Please let us know if you agree to all of these cookies. Accepting the Cookies also accepts the Disclaimers for the website.