A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Soft-Top Softener / Treatment?...

  • X8GGY
  • Topic Author
  • New Member
  • New Member
    Public
More
22 Nov 2020 17:59 #230285 by X8GGY
Soft-Top Softener / Treatment?... was created by X8GGY
Not often I ask for help or advice... but here's one... ;)

Any recommendations for a product to treat the twenty year old soft-top on my buggy project?.....

It's gone a bit stiff and needs something to soften the soft-top and make it a bit more pliable again...?

I've had a good-Google but to no avail... :(

TIA Dave B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Lambert
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
    Registered
  • The best Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Nov 2020 18:36 #230292 by Lambert
Never used it but a mate who has a saab convertible uses autoglym.

www.autoglym.com/convertible-soft-top-cl...protect-complete-kit

Temeraire R.E.D Retired Extremely Dangerous

Bellerophon daily dose of disappointment.

Leviathan 155 prado shortie. Aka the biggest small car in the world.
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • X8GGY
  • Topic Author
  • New Member
  • New Member
    Public
More
22 Nov 2020 20:39 #230301 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Soft-Top Softener / Treatment?...
Aye, found that and a similar Halfords kit whilst googling... but they are more cleaners / sealers than a product to soften the vinyl?...

My wife suggested Vaseline?...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2020 21:55 #230306 by Scimike
I have never tried any of this, but I have seen reports in the classic world of heat being used to gently stretch a shrunk vinyl roof and baby oil used on cleaned vinyl seats to soften them up. Same principle I suppose could be used to soften the roof, so your wife suggestion is not a million miles away.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2020 22:50 #230337 by DrRobin
I did a quick search and found this article, seems it depends on what the material actually is.

www.ehow.co.uk/list_7416151_products-sof...onvertible-tops.html

I have owned a soft top 2 seater for almost 20 years and have used Autoglym/Halfords products for a few years. This year I tried a multi-part kit from Protex World, basically it was a cleaner, dye and sealer and did a very impressive job. Not sure it would really soften your old cover, but cleaning and conditioning does seem to make the material more flexible.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds
Joomla template by a4joomla