A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.
Jimny 1999 JLX ECU
- Owl
- Topic Author
- New Member
-

Public
Less
More
- Thank you received: 0
19 Oct 2020 11:34 #229275
by Owl
Jimny 1999 JLX ECU was created by Owl
Hi All, Id like to ask the more experienced guys, whether I can swap out the ECU (G13BB eng), is it just a matter of unplug and plug in another? I think the immobiliser has been disconnected or didnt come with it?
The local wrecker told me I needed to have a matched key and barrel with the ECU, wondering if thats true? Help appreciated. Thanks Owl.
The local wrecker told me I needed to have a matched key and barrel with the ECU, wondering if thats true? Help appreciated. Thanks Owl.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
19 Oct 2020 15:49 #229293
by yakuza
Norway -84 SJ410, 87 SJ413 lwb, 88 sammy trailer.
2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 Cooper Disco, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck.
Replied by yakuza on topic Jimny 1999 JLX ECU
Hi
As far as I know that is the general idea. Key chip, antenna, (sometimes a module) and ECU is coded and matched together.
Some models got the immobilizer inside the ECU and Will only need the ECU and key. It is also possible to program your key to the New ECU after swapping the ECU.
As far as I know that is the general idea. Key chip, antenna, (sometimes a module) and ECU is coded and matched together.
Some models got the immobilizer inside the ECU and Will only need the ECU and key. It is also possible to program your key to the New ECU after swapping the ECU.
Norway -84 SJ410, 87 SJ413 lwb, 88 sammy trailer.
2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 Cooper Disco, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Owl
- Topic Author
- New Member
-

Public
Less
More
- Thank you received: 0
19 Oct 2020 22:43 #229307
by Owl
Replied by Owl on topic Jimny 1999 JLX ECU
Thanks Interesting, My key is just a plain key that can be copied cheaply is why i thought the immobiser isnt there? The antenna on the roof left side (dont know what that is , is not connected to anything.
I have a mechanical background but I have no experience in those processes.
Looks like Dealership to do the ECU swap, and mega dollars later. Maybe the local Auto Electrician who is supposed to be the go to for engine management issues, Although he advised to change the IAC which i did and it made no difference whatsoever. Regretfully I have been a parts changer as the mechanics I had approached gave me the car back saying it didnt produce symptoms , no codes and see you later. They dont want the job anyway. Who would.
I have a mechanical background but I have no experience in those processes.
Looks like Dealership to do the ECU swap, and mega dollars later. Maybe the local Auto Electrician who is supposed to be the go to for engine management issues, Although he advised to change the IAC which i did and it made no difference whatsoever. Regretfully I have been a parts changer as the mechanics I had approached gave me the car back saying it didnt produce symptoms , no codes and see you later. They dont want the job anyway. Who would.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.621 seconds
