A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny prop shaft refurbishment

  • Mr CC
  • New Member
  • New Member
    Public
More
16 Sep 2020 00:27 #228247 by Mr CC
Replied by Mr CC on topic Jimny prop shaft refurbishment
I think the bolts are M8, or M10 on one side, just refitted the prop on mine so will find out tomorrow when I'm back at the car

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2020 06:02 #228248 by Busta
I'd just clean and paint. I've never had a Suzuki UJ fail, nor have I heard of many others failing. If it was a Landrover on the other hand I'd have said replace them all. They don't last half as long!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reason2doubt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Mr CC
  • New Member
  • New Member
    Public
More
16 Sep 2020 19:17 #228267 by Mr CC
Replied by Mr CC on topic Jimny prop shaft refurbishment
the bolts on the rear shaft are 4X M8 x 20mm thread length with a 12mm hex head and 4X M10 x 25mm thread length with a 14mm hex head
definitely renew the spring washers.
most M8 have 13mm heads and could be tight, I cleaned up the old ones and re-used
hope you notice the front shaft is weighted, so you will have to replace the shaft to the original bolt holes on both sides.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Lambert
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
    Registered
  • The best Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Sep 2020 05:42 #228281 by Lambert
Prop shafts are only balanced as a component not as part of the assembly they are bolted to. The only reason to be careful is if you split them, so removing the slider or replacing the universal joints. If you do then a couple of witness marks are all you need.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
R.E.D Retired Extremely Dangerous
Bellerophon (2024 grello van) daily dose of disappointment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reason2doubt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Reason2doubt
  • Topic Author
  • New Member
  • New Member
    Public
More
17 Sep 2020 07:32 #228285 by Reason2doubt
Replied by Reason2doubt on topic Jimny prop shaft refurbishment
Thanks all! That’s very useful info :) I’ll see how I get on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds
Joomla template by a4joomla
We use cookies to give you the best online experience. Please let us know if you agree to all of these cookies. Accepting the Cookies also accepts the Disclaimers for the website.