A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.
Re:New member - help needed!
- Zam1
- Topic Author
- New Member
-

Public
Less
More
- Thank you received: 0
15 Aug 2020 16:20 #226726
by Zam1
New member - help needed! was created by Zam1
Hi.....I have just joined Big Jimny and really need some help!
I have a 2003 1.3 soft top model .....I believe it is the G13BB engine.
My problems began about 2 weeks ago. I was just about to park up, after a run of about 3 miles. On slowing down, the engine just quietly died. No noises, bangs etc. Just coasted to a halt. The engine cranks....but nothing else. So far I have:
Check spark - good at all plugs. New plugs
Checked fuel pressure at rail
Removed and checked injectors
Tested injector pulse (noid tester)
Removed and checked fuel pressure regulator
Replaced fuel pump
Checked timing. Spot on
Compression check. Good on all 4
Checked coil packs.
Replaced cam sensor
Replaced crank sensor
No oil in coolant - or coolant in oil.
I’m not sure how to test the idle control valve or TPS - but I doubt either would prevent starting.
I do not have an OBD reader which can read the early engine.......
If I squirt some Easystart in the air intake...it almost starts. Fires on 2 or 3.....puffs of white smoke from exhaust (unburnt fuel?) It appears to be fuel starvation, but pressure, injectors etc all good. Does it have a MAF? Couldn’t see one anywhere
I really need some help now - as I am totally stumped. Thanks in advance!!
I have a 2003 1.3 soft top model .....I believe it is the G13BB engine.
My problems began about 2 weeks ago. I was just about to park up, after a run of about 3 miles. On slowing down, the engine just quietly died. No noises, bangs etc. Just coasted to a halt. The engine cranks....but nothing else. So far I have:
Check spark - good at all plugs. New plugs
Checked fuel pressure at rail
Removed and checked injectors
Tested injector pulse (noid tester)
Removed and checked fuel pressure regulator
Replaced fuel pump
Checked timing. Spot on
Compression check. Good on all 4
Checked coil packs.
Replaced cam sensor
Replaced crank sensor
No oil in coolant - or coolant in oil.
I’m not sure how to test the idle control valve or TPS - but I doubt either would prevent starting.
I do not have an OBD reader which can read the early engine.......
If I squirt some Easystart in the air intake...it almost starts. Fires on 2 or 3.....puffs of white smoke from exhaust (unburnt fuel?) It appears to be fuel starvation, but pressure, injectors etc all good. Does it have a MAF? Couldn’t see one anywhere
I really need some help now - as I am totally stumped. Thanks in advance!!
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Less
More
- Posts: 9972
- Thank you received: 1998
15 Aug 2020 16:30 #226728
by Lambert
Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
R.E.D Retired Extremely Dangerous
Bellerophon (2024 grello van) daily dose of disappointment.
Replied by Lambert on topic New member - help needed!
Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately most of the things I would suggest you have done already. Does it have the immobiliser padlock light flashing on the dashboard?
Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
R.E.D Retired Extremely Dangerous
Bellerophon (2024 grello van) daily dose of disappointment.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Zam1
- Topic Author
- New Member
-

Public
Less
More
- Thank you received: 0
15 Aug 2020 17:32 #226730
by Zam1
Replied by Zam1 on topic New member - help needed!
Thanks for your reply. Sadly, no immobiliser padlock flashing
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
15 Aug 2020 19:26 #226737
by mlines
Martin
2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Replied by mlines on topic Re:New member - help needed!
Does it have the mil light on?
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Martin
2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Zam1
- Topic Author
- New Member
-

Public
Less
More
- Thank you received: 0
15 Aug 2020 23:44 #226754
by Zam1
Replied by Zam1 on topic Re:New member - help needed!
I have the MIL light on with the ignition on - solid, not blinking. As the engine won’t start, the light doesn’t go off, but this is normal, I think? Illuminated with ignition/crank?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Less
More
- Posts: 9972
- Thank you received: 1998
16 Aug 2020 04:10 #226763
by Lambert
Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
R.E.D Retired Extremely Dangerous
Bellerophon (2024 grello van) daily dose of disappointment.
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:New member - help needed!
yes that is correct. I would suggest that the next step is to start to methodically check every plug and connector for good contact and intact wiring one system at a time. So for instance spark, work from the ecu to the plugs to the earth points and so on for fuel and air. It has to be something simple somewhere in one of the bigger systems.
Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
R.E.D Retired Extremely Dangerous
Bellerophon (2024 grello van) daily dose of disappointment.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds
