A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

A strange sound when climbing the ramp

More
07 Aug 2020 11:25 #226220 by avehbiaslanturk
Hi eveyone,
" First of all, I apologize for my poor English. "

I own a 2009 stock Jimny at 136.000 km. Also it has an automatic transmission.
My problem is this : Such a sound comes when I climb the steep slopes at especially low speeds with my car.
What could be the problem? What should I check? Thank you so much.

Video Link : drive.google.com/file/d/1JHTMcqTJS0zYBVf...vrI/view?usp=sharing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2020 12:06 #226223 by Roger Fairclough
The track on your video would appear to be tarmac and, without having info. on the degree of the slope, probably be drivable in high range.If you have selected low range and the hubs are locked then you may be experiencing axle wind up. This will promote extra pressure in the transfer box and that means noise. If you need low range with hubs locked periodically drive over a surface that will allow wheels to spin. This will relieve pressure in the transfer box. Also bear in mind that using the transfer box is inherently noisy.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: avehbiaslanturk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2020 12:16 #226226 by avehbiaslanturk

Roger Fairclough wrote: The track on your video would appear to be tarmac and, without having info. on the degree of the slope, probably be drivable in high range.If you have selected low range and the hubs are locked then you may be experiencing axle wind up. This will promote extra pressure in the transfer box and that means noise. If you need low range with hubs locked periodically drive over a surface that will allow wheels to spin. This will relieve pressure in the transfer box. Also bear in mind that using the transfer box is inherently noisy.

Roger


Sorry for the missing information and thank you for the answer. In the video, my car was in 2WD mode. I rarely use 4WD and 4WD-L modes. If I use it, I only use it on slippery surfaces.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2020 12:30 #226227 by Roger Fairclough
2WD in a low gear on a steep climb will naturally promote gear noise. The sounds I heard on the video would not worry me. It's just a system working hard.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: avehbiaslanturk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Andy2640
  • New Member
  • New Member
    Public
More
07 Aug 2020 14:35 #226237 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic A strange sound when climbing the ramp
Oh crikey! I thought you had the dreaded "Mirco-grind" for a second there. But alas...its a gen 3.

Still havnt got mine resolved yet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2020 18:39 #226256 by avehbiaslanturk

Andy2640 wrote: Oh crikey! I thought you had the dreaded "Mirco-grind" for a second there. But alas...its a gen 3.

Still havnt got mine resolved yet.


Sorry, I don't quite understand what you said. :) So the sound in my vehicle is normal?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds
Joomla template by a4joomla
We use cookies to give you the best online experience. Please let us know if you agree to all of these cookies. Accepting the Cookies also accepts the Disclaimers for the website.