A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.
Gen2 Jimny Oil issue
- Timny0331
- Topic Author
- New Member
-

Public
Less
More
- Thank you received: 0
02 Jun 2020 17:16 - 02 Jun 2020 17:30 #223161
by Timny0331
Gen2 Jimny Oil issue was created by Timny0331
Hey all. Recently my 92 jimny has been hesitating under high load. Finally got the chance today to take everything apart and try to figure out the issue.
I discovered quite a bit of oil in the intake filter so I took the whole system apart and discovered oil everywhere the valve cover breather hose fitting all the way through to the intake then through the diverter valve to the intercooler and ultimately the throttle body. The metal breather hose elbow coming out of the valve cover was almost totally plugged with sludge/oil. This leads me to have a few questions.
I know some blow by is normal but could the plugged breather hose elbow be the source of all the oil throughout the intake system? Also could that plugged elbow cause the hesitation/misfire I'm getting under high load or should I be looking elsewhere? Could this be a diverter valve problem? I can only seem to source the diverter valve (P/N 18119-72B70) on one website that currently isn't shipping to the US. With that being said is there an alternative for us in the states? Can I just eliminate it all together?
Thanks for your time.
Quick edit that I forgot to mention: I have already changed plugs/distributor cap wires and rotor in an attempt to rectify the break up under load with no success.
I discovered quite a bit of oil in the intake filter so I took the whole system apart and discovered oil everywhere the valve cover breather hose fitting all the way through to the intake then through the diverter valve to the intercooler and ultimately the throttle body. The metal breather hose elbow coming out of the valve cover was almost totally plugged with sludge/oil. This leads me to have a few questions.
I know some blow by is normal but could the plugged breather hose elbow be the source of all the oil throughout the intake system? Also could that plugged elbow cause the hesitation/misfire I'm getting under high load or should I be looking elsewhere? Could this be a diverter valve problem? I can only seem to source the diverter valve (P/N 18119-72B70) on one website that currently isn't shipping to the US. With that being said is there an alternative for us in the states? Can I just eliminate it all together?
Thanks for your time.
Quick edit that I forgot to mention: I have already changed plugs/distributor cap wires and rotor in an attempt to rectify the break up under load with no success.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2020 17:30 by Timny0331. Reason: Forgot words
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Less
More
- Posts: 9972
- Thank you received: 1998
02 Jun 2020 19:31 #223166
by Lambert
Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
R.E.D Retired Extremely Dangerous
Bellerophon (2024 grello van) daily dose of disappointment.
Replied by Lambert on topic Gen2 Jimny Oil issue
Welcome to the forum. By the use of the turbo word I assume you have a Japanese kei version? Yes gunged up breather pipes are not ideal. Unfortunately I don't know enough about the early kei gen2 to offer specific advice but it's quite common to use a catch can in the breather system instead of feeding into the intake on many turbo engines like Subaru and Land Rover tdi and td5.
Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
R.E.D Retired Extremely Dangerous
Bellerophon (2024 grello van) daily dose of disappointment.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.485 seconds
