A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.
TrailGear Front Axles
Less
More
- Posts: 764
- Thank you received: 227
24 Apr 2020 00:51 #221449
by zukebob
I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
TrailGear Front Axles was created by zukebob
I am preparing to order the TrailGear HD front axle kit and asked their tech support a couple of questions. The reply I received was really a non-answer. The main question I had was concerning applicable years. The application data listed the kit for the JB43 years 2000 – 2015. My Jimny is a 2015. I don’t believe there were any changes in axles up through the 2018 Jimny but haven’t been able to confirm by part number.
I wouldn’t be concerned except that if there actually was a change, changes are sometimes implemented midyear. Can anyone confirm if there were any changes to the front axles throughout Gen3 production?
Tanks
Bob
I wouldn’t be concerned except that if there actually was a change, changes are sometimes implemented midyear. Can anyone confirm if there were any changes to the front axles throughout Gen3 production?
Tanks
Bob
I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Less
More
- Posts: 9973
- Thank you received: 1998
24 Apr 2020 04:31 #221452
by Lambert
Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
R.E.D Retired Extremely Dangerous
Bellerophon (2024 grello van) daily dose of disappointment.
Replied by Lambert on topic TrailGear Front Axles
There's the alterations to the diffs for the various ratios, there's also the change in the hubs for abs and not but as far as I am aware the actual tube is usable across all years as long as it is machined to accommodate a different diff which is only an issue with the manual transmission as all the automatic ones are the same. I think. Oh and I think there is some variation in the half shafts with different spline counts and cv joint types. I couldn't give you a specific date or chassis number for any of these changes though.
Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
R.E.D Retired Extremely Dangerous
Bellerophon (2024 grello van) daily dose of disappointment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zukebob
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Less
More
- Posts: 764
- Thank you received: 227
24 Apr 2020 06:24 #221454
by zukebob
I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Replied by zukebob on topic TrailGear Front Axles
Thanks Lambert. The TrailGear axle kit is the half shafts and CVs. This is what I am looking at:
This kit applies to 15 years of production and I have no reason to think it wouldn't be common with the last 3 years. It is only the fact that they list these for years 2000 - 2015 that I am a little concerned. The likelihood is that those are the only years that TrailGear (Longfield) had data for. I still recognize that the other years (and maybe some of 2015) might possibly be different. That concern is compounded by the fact that the RCV kits also show compatibility through 2015.
This kit applies to 15 years of production and I have no reason to think it wouldn't be common with the last 3 years. It is only the fact that they list these for years 2000 - 2015 that I am a little concerned. The likelihood is that those are the only years that TrailGear (Longfield) had data for. I still recognize that the other years (and maybe some of 2015) might possibly be different. That concern is compounded by the fact that the RCV kits also show compatibility through 2015.
I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
24 Apr 2020 06:58 #221455
by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic TrailGear Front Axles
Hi Zukebob, easiest certain answer is to send Russ at Jimnybits your vin number to check compatibility. They are a Trailgear dealer and will be able to give you a definitive answer...
sniper
sniper
The following user(s) said Thank You: zukebob
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Less
More
- Posts: 764
- Thank you received: 227
24 Apr 2020 07:31 #221456
by zukebob
I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Replied by zukebob on topic TrailGear Front Axles
Thanks Sniper. If Russ has access to part numbers based on VIN numbers, that would answer the question. I will drop him a line.
I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.932 seconds
