BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A section for Vitara and SJ owners.
If you have not yet upgraded to a Jimny then you can discuss your current Suzuki 4x4 here!

Shackles with 25mm Lift

More
05 Jan 2024 10:33 - 10 Jan 2024 12:59 #253263 by mikechandra
Guys,

I have a 1996 SJ413 and currently replacing the leaf springs, was fortunate enough to find a new old stock leaf spring set. I'm adding silence pads and cushions to improve the 'smoothness'.

But the shackles are damaged and have to be replaced as well, I have OEM ones ordered but was wondering if there are any shackles which provide 25mm lift ? All aftermarket shackles are of 50mm-75mm.

My absorbers are new and are of standard length and I don't really want mess with 50mm-75mm lift and all other things that comes along with this modification.

Also, is it safe to custom make shackles? i.e. with proper spec'd steel and bolts.

Thanks.

Regards
Mike

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Jan 2024 12:59 by mikechandra.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2024 11:01 #253264 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Shackles with 25mm Lift
Watch out for "new, old stock" springs. We have just fitted a pair to the rear of James' SJ. They were new (boxed and labels on them) but were old stock (boxes battered, springs covered in dust and chips in paint from being moved around). One has collapsed this morning with a bend in it after less than 10 miles driven. Diagnosis from the workshop guy (SJ is back in workshop for final polish) is that the spring leave looks lke it was not tempered properly in the factory. Perhaps there is new, old, faulty stock around?

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
07 Jan 2024 07:37 #253324 by mikechandra
Replied by mikechandra on topic Shackles with 25mm Lift
Thanks for the heads up!

More
08 Jan 2024 10:52 #253349 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Shackles with 25mm Lift
50mm longer shackles will give you 25mm of lift as it is only in one end.

However, they will make the geometry wrong and mess up the caster angle so your car may not self align so good after.

Very much longer shackles will also mess up your springs after a while as the inflex will be too hard and permanently damage the springs. longer bumpstops or shackle stops could help.
longer shackles will also interfere with the approach angle fwd and rear.

From experience anything longer than 50mm above original should be avoided.

Stiffer shackels with either very much stronger/thicker metal and/or reinforcements should also be avoided as they will force the spring to take all the flex internally that before was taken by the shackle. I think it will shorten the spring life.

All this from my own experience. I would be careful to change the shacles on my own SJ's. Never on the original one, but I might just a tiny bit on the lifted one..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
10 Jan 2024 13:02 #253413 by mikechandra
Replied by mikechandra on topic Shackles with 25mm Lift
Thanks for the inputs, I'll stick with the standard ones.

Regards
Mike

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds