BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A section for Vitara and SJ owners.
If you have not yet upgraded to a Jimny then you can discuss your current Suzuki 4x4 here!

Power steering

More
14 Oct 2023 17:22 #251426 by lesgrandepotato
So the car is basically finished, running pretty well. On the road it’s fine, but as a tyro trialler it’s pretty physical so a power steering set up seems wise. 

Conventional wisdom says a vitara setup and a wedge thingy and lots of splicing pulleys together. There a few cut and shut electric column options… 

I’m not into faff. Wedge mounted steering boxes and welded columns. 

So…. I’m thinking… if you engineered it today what would you do… 

So I’m planning on a jimny steering box, that should bolt up directly. 
Then an astra electric steering pump. 

That should be an easy install. Four wires and a bracket. 

So all that leaves is what pitman arm? Will the SJ one fit the Jimny box? The jimny one I think doesn’t have a steering damper mount. 

So is it a fabrication job? Or an aftermarket jimny kit? I’d like to keep the damper if I can. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2023 17:32 - 14 Oct 2023 17:35 #251427 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Power steering
I had a steering damper on my first SJ bolted and clamped to the bar. Much more beefy.

I got an aftermarket damper kit now for samurai. Not mounted yet.

I think the pitman arm from the jimny is not the same as the SJ. Found aftermarket ones, but haven't bought any. 

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 14 Oct 2023 17:35 by yakuza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lesgrandepotato

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds