BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A section for Vitara and SJ owners.
If you have not yet upgraded to a Jimny then you can discuss your current Suzuki 4x4 here!

Samurai Front Calipers and Pads

More
04 Sep 2023 16:59 #250666 by tomcat
My calipers need some urgent work on them.
Understand there are 2 different types. It has been suggested I have Lucas fitted. Picture attached.
How can one tell please?? 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2023 05:12 #250670 by yakuza
My SJ's have all had the same caliper. Also the same calipers as my 05 Jimny had. Actually my Jimny from 05 had a caliper hanger from an 85 SJ as it had less rust. Before it got the vented discs.

There might be differences I have not discovered or changes between markets though.

Nice carpet, your knees must love it. :) (mine hates gravel and concrete)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
05 Sep 2023 07:20 #250672 by tomcat
Yakusa
Thank you for your comments. Appreciated.
The carpet strip serves in many ways and my knees do not suffer as much!!

More
05 Sep 2023 18:30 #250673 by tomcat
I have located ventilated discs on Ebay.
Which calipers would fit them.?
Anyone done this before?

Attachments:

More
05 Sep 2023 20:35 #250675 by lesgrandepotato
I fitted a set of disks and calipers from eBay Maruti ones from India. Cost about £150 with discs and pads. 
They seem decent. I don’t see how vented disks will help as far as I can see it won’t go fast enough and it doesn’t weigh enough to have a fade problem and the rest is just an opportunity for clogging off road 

More
05 Sep 2023 23:32 #250678 by fordem

I don’t see how vented disks will help as far as I can see it won’t go fast enough and it doesn’t weigh enough to have a fade problem and the rest is just an opportunity for clogging off road 

Vehicle speed & weight are just two of the factors that you need to consider - larger, heavier tires (LT construction mud terrains) have a huge impact on stopping power, depending on how much larger you go, the vented disks are a worthwhile addition.

More
06 Sep 2023 04:40 - 06 Sep 2023 05:07 #250679 by yakuza
For a standard Suzuki with standard wheels, vented disks are not nescessary, I agree. But for larger wheels and engine and combined with the slightly larger caliper piston, yes they play a part. also for my Jimny they are less prone to warping, though my current vented discs (cheap) has a slight shake.

I use calipers and hangers from the nineties long Vitara, 93 to 98.
Since I have ABS I use Jimny diesel discs as the center hole is larger 107.8mm for ABS. standard SJ and Jimny without ABS has 107mm.
For no ABS cars the Vitara Discs will fit. Jimny diesel calipers and hangers is next on my list to try.

To get the larger 1.6 engine approved here in Norway the extra brakes is a must now. (as it should be in my opinion) Rear discs do not get approved here yet and the kits are a bit like chopped wood those I have seen. Easier to get original parts approved here as there is lesser need for documentation.

By the way it seems the SJ rear brakes are wider than on my newer Jimny. haven't tried to fit them or taken any measurements but might try some day.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 06 Sep 2023 05:07 by yakuza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tomcat

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds