BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A section for Vitara and SJ owners.
If you have not yet upgraded to a Jimny then you can discuss your current Suzuki 4x4 here!

Clicky clicky no starty

More
31 Aug 2023 09:11 #250595 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Clicky clicky no starty
Starter motor on the bench is under no load so it draws a lot less current.

If it is a bad connection you will get the click, click, but it won’t kill the battery. The battery voltage will drop under starting but should recover straight away after you stop cranking or trying to start. If it doesn’t then it sounds like battery.

I have a meter that measures the battery and does a cranking test, it tells you how many amps the battery can give and also measures the voltage under cranking (I think it s up to 800A, but you program the battery rating in). In addition it will also check the alternator for charge and ripple. They are about £30 £40 but well worth it, especially if you have more than one car, mine is an Ancel with an LCD graphic display but there are plenty of them available.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2023 10:26 - 31 Aug 2023 10:30 #250597 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Clicky clicky no starty
Have you checked the fusable links?
The green wires at the battery connectors may melt just enough to make a voltage drop over them, but not enough to show when there is no load with a voltmeter. wiggle and pull on them to see if they have a weak connection. one of them is power to the ignition circuit.

They can be foreshortened a little bit and reconnected if they are of similar length to original and the break is at the far end of them. I have crimped on a new connector sometimes.

If broken it should still work when you shorten the connectors at the starter or make a leap wire from battery to the small solenoid connector though..
Still thinking of a weak magnetic coil in the solenoid or weak main coil in the starter motor. or the starter motor graphite brushes.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 31 Aug 2023 10:30 by yakuza.

More
01 Sep 2023 20:33 #250633 by lesgrandepotato
New starter fitted and we are back in business. 

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds