BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A section for Vitara and SJ owners.
If you have not yet upgraded to a Jimny then you can discuss your current Suzuki 4x4 here!

Wheel spacers - reduced turning circle

More
21 Jun 2023 10:26 #249571 by lesgrandepotato
Struggling to get my head round this. Intuitively I think a wider track should help offroad. I don’t want to compromise on steering, but the width would help counter the lift in banked situations 

I think a wider track will help the steering as well, if at the cost of increased scrub 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2023 10:40 #249572 by Scimike
No expert on this, but isn't a wider track " helping off road" dependant upon the situation in which you find yourself. For example the further you move the wheels apart the more chance you have of bottoming out on "humps" etc.
Also in reality the distance change with spacers is so small it's makes little difference "off road", so why do it unless your tyres rub? 
Just adding to the confusion, can't get my head around it also. 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
21 Jun 2023 10:45 #249573 by me101
I agree with Scimike on the difference a spacer will make off road. And, in my head, wider track = reduced turning circle?
Cheers

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

More
23 Jun 2023 07:08 #249601 by Busta
Turning circle is dictated by the angle of the front wheels and their distance from the rear wheels. So given that the spacers don't change either of these the inside turning circle should be the same. The outside turning circle will be wider due to the increased track width. The only thing that might affect this is the wider track will put the Ackerman angle (difference between inside and outside front wheel) slightly out, but that's fairly minimal.

In terms of improvements off-road, the Jimnys biggest downfall is lack of ground clearance and it's biggest strength is it's narrow width. Fitting spacers diminishes the width advantage and makes you more likely to get stuck in deep ruts. Keeping a narrow track makes it easier to keep one wheel out of ruts, or to climb out of them if you do fall in. And what Scimike says about clearance over humps also applies.

More
23 Jun 2023 07:53 - 23 Jun 2023 07:54 #249602 by yakuza
the Trailmaster 50mm spring lift TUV -approval recommends to increase the track width. Not sure if i remember correctly but I think it was OK with ET-20.
I would not have anymore either, it adds wear to the components.

i have had ET-28 (approx) and 325 tires on my SJ. approx 10cm wider than original each side. Just as bad turning radius, but not worse. (the tires on my profile picture -not drivable on a jimny)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 23 Jun 2023 07:54 by yakuza.

More
24 Jun 2023 08:38 #249621 by jackonlyjack
Mine is like a 70's pram tall and narrow 
Turning circle is good 
Regularly have it at 45 degree angle 
Not fell over yet ET0 wheels 7.50 16 tyres 

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds