BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A section for Vitara and SJ owners.
If you have not yet upgraded to a Jimny then you can discuss your current Suzuki 4x4 here!

New SJ owner - couple of q’s

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 Oct 2023 05:04 #251853 by Lambert
That's just too cool!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: lesgrandepotato

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2023 06:41 - 01 Nov 2023 06:47 #251896 by yakuza

So the question is what do I go for? I’m on 215/75 LT’s at the moment. It’s got a 2” OME lift on it. I’m minded to go a little bigger… but that’s new rims as well I suspect…

Should I be looking at 235/75’s (circa 29’s) or 30’s? I’ve got the 4:16 transfer case so either a viable. Planning on keeping stock bumpers etc at the moment. 

Any sage advice? Any interesting rims apart from steel Modular’s?

What size tyres on your follower there?
The front bumper can be moved forward to fit larger tyres. Not sure you would do this on yours, but I just bent the frame tubes forward a bit to make room for up to 31" and still using the original bumper. Also possible to cut or better relocate the bumper brackets a bit forward and drill new holes to fit 235 and a bit more.
With the "410" high range as the 4.16 case should provide, you could go up to 31" but then you would need alot of cutting in the fenders and some  wider flares and wider 8" wheels with ET20. With 235 on either stock or 7" ET0 (or ET10 if your go up to 30") wheels it would fit better inside the original wheel wells.  235 BFG MT on my SJ410 fit just great on the Jimny alloys.
235's on stock wheels is probably out of the range on what is recommended but I have run that alot and never seen any excess wear or anything.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2023 06:47 by yakuza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lesgrandepotato

More
14 Nov 2023 19:24 #252128 by lesgrandepotato

I like Weller wheels on SJs especially in white.

Give it a few days… they are on the way. 15x7 ET0 

More
17 Nov 2023 17:53 #252176 by lesgrandepotato
I’ll just leave this here….

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines, Lambert, yakuza, Soeley

More
18 Nov 2023 15:28 #252199 by lesgrandepotato
    Wheels all fitted up. Minor trimming required, but have tried to keep to the ‘stock plus’ vibe. 
235/75 r15s on 7in rims with zero offset. 

I think I’ve nailed the look I was after :-) 
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines, yakuza

More
19 Nov 2023 17:36 #252224 by lesgrandepotato
First trial on the new tyres today.. a slimy Edenhall with North lakes 4x4.Didn’t start well as driver 1 and clattered the cane on the 10 gate. Over the day I started to gel a bit more with the car and pretty much anything left on the score sheet was down to driver error / exuberance.Fine day out and I’m pretty pleased with the Maxxis boots and the SJ’s motorway performance. Few niggles for next season to sort with a speedo failure and not charging at high RPM.. that and a full service / inspection and we are good for the next year.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Soeley

More
20 Nov 2023 13:52 #252237 by lesgrandepotato
So oddly enough on the way home last night the brake warning lamp popped on and off a couple of times.
I’ve been trailing a chain of smoke after a sustained crawl in low ratio, and I’d assumed it was just hot oil and poor valve guide seals.

Thinking about it yesterday it was gently puffing white smoke which. I’d mostly ignored as being mist.

I’m wondering now if the servo seals have gone. Anyone got a method to diagnose?

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds