BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

CAE's Daily Jim

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jun 2018 17:42 #193456 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic CAE's Daily Jim
Looking good nice touches ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jun 2018 20:56 #193465 by Caelite
Replied by Caelite on topic CAE's Daily Jim
And a bonus little odd job for the night. Just found some of my left over selective yellow tinting film from when I did the Mazda. Sadly the offcut has a big crease through it but I decided to whack it on the jimny nonetheless. Can't see the crease from over ~50cm away anyway.

Looks great:

And an obligatory awful flex shot! :silly:
Attachments:

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2018 01:27 #193539 by Caelite
Decided to take a wee detour on my way home from work today for some vanity shots:

Car is looking good. On an aesthetics front all I really need to do is give it a good clean and wax, and attack the headlights with a mild abrasive to get rid of their slight cloudiness.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Jun 2018 06:26 #193541 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic CAE's Daily Jim
Looking good!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2018 08:22 #193542 by Daniel30
Very nice ;)

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jul 2018 17:35 - 25 Jul 2018 17:41 #194638 by Caelite
A few odds and ends done.

Took my cabin air filter off the other week to find that instead of a filter in there there was about 10 years worth of leaves, bugs and crap. Which all fell directly on to my face as I popped the cover off. I did however manage to take the cover off without snapping the little tabs.

Anywho, queue servicing jobs:

New blueprint cabin air filter and genuine suzuki oil filter from Martin on here, a pipercross air filter and a nice 5w30 Mobil 3000 fully synth. Ideally I was looking for Mobil 1 New Life or High Mile, but all I could find was the ESP type. Also picked up an oil flush, I know their benefit is a little controversial but I have a funny feeling that, contrary to the dealer I bought it offs claims, that my Jimny hasn't been serviced in ~25k miles or so.

Finally, the trademark sticker of someone who paid too much for questionable gains

It does have a nice noise to it, adds a little induction roar above ~4k rpm.

Still have my replacement swivel seals, kingpin bearings & GP5 diff oil just sat there, not confident enough doing it myself and the friend I was going to do it with is slammed with his work at the moment, still after ~3000 miles of the swivels leaking oil I haven't had any symptoms appear, the minor ~45mph death wobble I had has actually cured itself when I changed my tyres/wheels to GG3s on steels. Which may in fact prove the rumour I've heard about Jimny alloys, particularly 3 spokes, contributing to the wobble.
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Jul 2018 17:41 by Caelite.

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jul 2018 23:01 #194647 by Caelite
Service finished. Ended up doing the coolant too which I have been meaning to do since I bought the car as it looked in a sorry state, the first flush confirmed this

5 flushes later its totally clear and full of my chosen red stuff.

Oil again, was in a sorry state. I really question the validity of the claim from the dealer I bought the car off of that they serviced it themselves when it came in to them. The oil was in an awfully sludgy state, I believe it is much more likely it was last changed when the last stamp in the book was at, about 25k miles ago. That being said, new fully synth has done it a world of good, the pronounced VVT lift at 3500rpm appears to be back, and a small amount of top end tappet ticking has all but entirely disappeared.

Still on the to do list is my kingpin bearings, diff, tcase and gearbox oils and a very late aircon system refill.
Attachments:

More
25 Jul 2018 23:48 #194649 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic CAE's Daily Jim
Mobil one did the same when I serviced mine. The VVT became much more pronounced (as much of a surge as 86bhp can muster), its lost to memory now, I've got used to it.......

I think it's a great little engine and it rewards good maintenance. If you ain't scared to push it to 5k + and keep busy with the gearstick, it can match most hatchbacks on B roads. Love getting the odd look from drivers as they catch me up going into a 30, where I always behave.

Your car looks to be very pampered, it will pay dividends with long term ownership.....

sniper

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jul 2018 00:07 - 26 Jul 2018 00:20 #194650 by Caelite
Depends on your definition of pampered. If washed ~4 times per year, and thrashed within an inch of it's life on my commute home is your definition of pampering. :laugh: That being said, good quality servicing and components make all the difference, I wanted to use Mobil 1, but couldn't find anything other than the ESP type in Xw30 weight. I would have gone for another top shelf oil like Shell Helix Ultra, but Halfords has a good deal on on Mobil 3k at the moment (£27 for 5L of branded fully synth is good).

Ditto the Jimny really is OK on b-roads, you get a good level of feedback for a 4x4 and its fairly chuckable once you get used to it. That being said for me it 'feels' a lot faster than it is, which is good. Thrashing it along at 70mph is great fun, I would need to be doing 90-100 in my MX5 or a hot hatch to return the same feeling, well north of a ton on the bike. Also with the roads where I am having something you can just sling into the ditch on single track roads rather than hunting for a passing place is great.
Last edit: 26 Jul 2018 00:20 by Caelite.

More
26 Jul 2018 08:15 #194654 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic CAE's Daily Jim
Eurocarparts for Mobil one, -35% discount.

I meant pampered as in well serviced, not as in polished...... no slant intended sir.....

sniper

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jul 2018 15:43 #194664 by Daniel30
Opi oil is good place, but if you want there free delivery you have to be prepared to wait :)

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jul 2018 15:43 - 26 Jul 2018 16:12 #194665 by Caelite
Right, I might be going a bit mad.

My Jimny has air con. Or at least there is a button on the dash that says A/C. It has never worked, it also never had made any noise or change in revs when the button is pressed. I had the system pressure tested and there is zero pressure.

Now this is the bit that is getting me, WHERE is the Jimny air con compressor? Conventional wisdom says its a clutched mechanical system (its old and Japanese, i doubt it'd be electric). Normally they sit on the aux belt below the power steering pump. I can't see mine, where I would expect an air compressor to be there is nothing but a blank bracket.

Am I looking in the wrong place, or has someone taken the AC pump off of this motor at some point and not put it back on?

Edit: Just looked again, yup, someones pikey'd my AC pump, traced the pipe down from the test valve and it leads down to absolutely nothing.
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Jul 2018 16:12 by Caelite.

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds