BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:The Jimny of the Yakuza

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Apr 2018 06:02 #192101 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic Re:The Jimny of the Yakuza
Great news! Must be good to get rid of o many annoying issues now then!
Was the gear shift mechanism on the box, or did you reuse youre old? I`m wondering why the shifter feels tighter, usually only due to bushings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2018 07:41 #192104 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Re:The Jimny of the Yakuza
Reused the old bracket and shifter so it's all down to the gearbox itself.

Could also be the clutch releasing better.
Even though the clutch now grips lower on the pedal adjusting the wire more correctly.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Apr 2018 08:42 #192107 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Re:The Jimny of the Yakuza
Yep sounds just like mine feels like a new car :)

More
25 Apr 2018 05:55 #192132 by yakuza
Could also be that the clutch construction is a balance between the pedal pressure and the internal spring pressure in the clutch. When they construct the clutch they need gripping power and by using low quality clutch plate material they would need stronger springs, and thus more pedal power to release.
That is when the clutch wire and brackets begin to bend and stretch over time i guess..
With a better quality clutch the systems total balance and thus its function gets to be way better.
-in theory :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
27 Apr 2018 04:42 #192213 by HUN
Replied by HUN on topic Re:The Jimny of the Yakuza
Hi Yakuza.

Do you have a definite list about R72 type (year 2005) gearbox? I mean which parts should be replaced with new/upgraded parts in order to improve reliablity of this type?

I bought and got fitted another used R72 type gearbox last summer so I have the old one ready for rebuild.

My old R72 type gearbox has good gears but sync rings and bearings may need to replaced with new ones hence I'm asking.
Thank you for any advice.

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers

More
27 Apr 2018 06:42 - 27 Apr 2018 06:43 #192215 by yakuza

HUN wrote: Hi Yakuza.

Do you have a definite list about R72 type (year 2005) gearbox? I mean which parts should be replaced with new/upgraded parts in order to improve reliablity of this type?

I bought and got fitted another used R72 type gearbox last summer so I have the old one ready for rebuild.

My old R72 type gearbox has good gears but sync rings and bearings may need to replaced with new ones hence I'm asking.
Thank you for any advice.

No I do not have such info other than the bearing kits on ebay has closed bearings, my 2013 gearbox has closed bearings as i have seen with my endoscope, and my 2005 box had open bearings. this upgrade came 2009/10 i have read somewhere. (in here i think?)
The refurbished gearboxes sold have new gearwheels, bearings and sync rings one seller told me.

I too have been thinking about rebuilding and upgrading my used and crashed gearbox. But it would need most gearwheels and of course everything else in there that is damaged. I would have to check shafts and housing thoroughly so I might just do a core swap when i buy a new or refurbished gearbox sometime in 2026 when this new one breaks down...

Last edit: 27 Apr 2018 06:43 by yakuza.

More
08 May 2018 07:45 #192497 by yakuza
New gearbox with new seal is leaking.
Or more correctly the drive shaft is leaking ref. this post: www.bigjimny.com/forum/7-jimny-technical...ain-grrrr.html#71942

the shaft is leaking inside the spline yoke. Seen some seal it with silicone.
I'll try to clean it with brake cleaner spray and seal it with Tec7.

So will start to find a drive shaft from a newer car if possible.
Not many of those here in Norway, I know of the car i got the gearbox from only.

More
08 May 2018 08:03 #192499 by yakuza
Ok so it could have been done with a regular car or a tractor but of course this is much more fun with a Jimny!

The dog and I fixing the horse track for the kids with a harrow..

Attachments:

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2018 11:21 #192549 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic Re:The Jimny of the Yakuza

yakuza wrote: Ok so it could have been done with a regular car or a tractor but of course this is much more fun with a Jimny!

The dog and I fixing the horse track for the kids with a harrow..

Put it to work, not far from being a little tractor anyway!

That dog would probably pull that harrow too :D

More
09 May 2018 12:24 #192552 by yakuza

OlaGB wrote:
That dog would probably pull that harrow too :D

He should be capable to do that, but he is probably the most useless lump of protein in Western Norway. :)

More
29 May 2018 18:09 #193033 by yakuza
Bought some sort of Teflon tape off ebay and now my seat belts return quite good. The hanger was pretty dirty again so washing with brake cleaner did help too.

Sent fra min E5823 via Tapatalk

More
11 Jun 2018 09:25 #193369 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic The Jimny of the Yakuza
Pulled my transfer box this weekend to change the gears. will post pictures later.
Found my synchronizer ring on the 4x4 front output had broken.
I must have done something stupid while trying to get the case back together that broke the ring, or it was broken before.
It was very troublesome to get the box together as well and i did not get it to shift properly so trying to order a new ring today.
So now I await my local Suzuki dealer and hoping it can be sourced within reasonable time.

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds