BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

gear oil leaking again. grrrr!

• g4vcn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2011 14:01 #11006 by g4vcn
gear oil leaking again. grrrr! was created by g4vcn
As you know i had oil lealing from where prop goes indo gearbox. A few weeks back now i replaced the oil seal and now it is leaking again. Is it possible for oil to leak through the u joint as i have a new seal in the box and the u joint has oil all over it. the collar type part on the shaft seems to be dry.
any help please.

gav

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2011 15:51 #11014 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: gear oil leaking again. grrrr!
is there any play in the bearing on the output shaft ???

• g4vcn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2011 19:24 #11044 by g4vcn
Replied by g4vcn on topic Re: gear oil leaking again. grrrr!
what part is the output bearing?

gav

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2011 19:58 #11051 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: gear oil leaking again. grrrr!
Isnt this the new jimny, id seriously be taking this back under warrenty! SOD the offroad/mods at least get them to pay some of it!

• g4vcn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2011 20:21 #11055 by g4vcn
Replied by g4vcn on topic Re: gear oil leaking again. grrrr!
yeh its the 09 plate. once i got the body lift off its back to standard. so i think ill just be going back to suzuki. its soon to be going up for sale but wont sell untill i know its a running how it should.

gav

• cgauer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 May 2013 21:56 #70115 by cgauer
Replied by cgauer on topic gear oil leaking again. grrrr!
Same Issue! :blush:

I thought it was the rear gearbox seal.. But it wasn't. The collar was 100% clean and dry.

The culprit was the u-join itself. The end of it had a plate that seals the bottom part of the sliding spline (oil fed). Cleaned and filled it with high strength epoxy resin (the outer part of it).

30 min in-place job.

It is a 2009 VVT manual.

More
06 May 2013 14:28 #70142 by gilburton
You're not the only one having problems with a later Jimny.
Initially I had the seal replaced. It leaked again. I then had it replaced again but also had a new propshaft fitted at the same time.
That I hoped would be it but again I am getting the familiar smell of hot oil on the exhaust although it's not as bad as the first seal. Not had a chance to have a look yet but will later this week!
I've just had it on the motorway at higher speeds than it normally does locally for the first time so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's just excess oil coming out the breather??
Just to add it's only done 36K and is 2008.
Unfortunately it's 3rd hand and is well out of warranty although the dealer just charged for the prop not labour.
If it has gone again I think it will be an ebay job
What is it with these later boxes?? I got thousands of miles out of my old Jimny and any rear wheel drive cars I've had in the past have never given me any problems like this.
Someone must know?? The Suzuki dealer has said he has replaced a few so is Suzuki keeping quiet??
The seal is the same as the older models so it can't be that and the dealer checked for any play on the output shaft but was ok? :(
cgauer can you illustrate or take a pic of your solution??

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

• Dorfl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2013 09:45 #70192 by Dorfl
Replied by Dorfl on topic gear oil leaking again. grrrr!
I've taken to treating the leak from my '08 as an extra level of rust protection :S (tried new seals, and on the 3rd transfer case with new seals etc.) i am thinking maybe the intermediate shaft is not quite true and deflecting the seal at speed? in the interim I have to clean the drive more regularly and try to convince people the cars not really a Land rover :evil:

• cgauer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2013 16:51 #70214 by cgauer
Replied by cgauer on topic gear oil leaking again. grrrr!
Look what I've found:

And yes, I'm in the range of the affected ones!

Here is the Bulletin:
Issue No:Q-SN-006-R1
Subject: Oil leak
Jimny older than vin: JSAFJB43V00453307

This bulletin is to inform you of the modification of Propeller Shaft No.1 For SN413.

The customer may complain of an oil leak from the cap part of the sliding yoke. This is due to the insufficient performance of the sealing adhesive used on the cap during quick acceleration.

If you encounter this please take your Jimny to your dealer.

Source: auszookers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39199&view=next

• cgauer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 May 2013 02:44 #71942 by cgauer
Replied by cgauer on topic Done!
Little update.

Today Suzuki Brazil replaced my prop-shaft (gearbox <-> transfer case) at no cost. It is a 2009 Jimny VVT manual and the warranty was over...

The newer prop features a shallower plug over the yoke/spline cup.

They had a total of 5 cars showing up for the job.

The job takes 45 minutes. Drain the gearbox oil, open the middle exhaust linkage (otherwise is impossible to remove the prop), unbolt it and of it goes.

Over the pictures, the older one featuring my epoxy temporary fix, actually it was holding perfectly well...

Pictures attached.

Best

Clemente

• JivingDaddy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 May 2013 05:54 #71944 by JivingDaddy
Replied by JivingDaddy on topic Done!
A solution at last. Congratulations. :)

More
28 May 2013 12:19 #71959 by Basketcase
Replied by Basketcase on topic Done!
Oh joy so the new gearbox I had to swap myself should have been covered here grrrr ill have to ask in work if this is true lol

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds