BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Tensioner Pulley Question

More
29 Mar 2024 17:39 #255286 by tomlil01
Hi, all,

I am trying to diagnose a squealing noise that I get whenever the I have switched on the lights, heater, heated mirrors, etc. Normally goes away after driving for 5 or 10 minutes.

I noticed that the middle part of the tensioner pulley can be pushed in independently of the metal outer ring. Only about 1mm or so. Is this normal, or does this indicate that the tensioner pulley might be going?

Thanks
Lee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2024 19:44 #255287 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Tensioner Pulley Question
Sounds like the pulley has gone, another check is to look at it with the engine running with a torch. It should be rigid with no visible wobble

Sent from my ThinkPhone by motorola using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: tomlil01

More
29 Mar 2024 20:00 - 29 Mar 2024 20:01 #255288 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re:Tensioner Pulley Question
Does the tensioner look like this?

What part pushes in?  The middle is bolted solid to the engine....

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Mar 2024 20:01 by facade.

More
29 Mar 2024 20:16 #255289 by tomlil01
I may have said it the wrong way round. I must have been pushing the outer ring part, and I could see it moved in and out a little. I guess the middle part didn't move if it's fixed.

More
30 Mar 2024 11:11 #255292 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re:Tensioner Pulley Question
You mean you can rattle the outside track in and out?
Perfectly normal, it is only a single row ball bearing and there will be axial play.

A mm does sound a lot though, but I suspect you are feeling a little play, rather than measuring.

I wouldn't jump to change that idler unless it really has gone, you won't believe how much they are! (You can just press the bearing out if you have a press, but the bearing is expensive enough on it's own)

Squealing just after startup is more likely a belt tension problem, a worn out belt, debris in the pulley grooves or the crank pulley rubber core breaking up.

Is yours late enough to have just one enormous belt threaded round everything, or does it have 2 belts?

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
30 Mar 2024 12:09 #255293 by tomlil01
I don't think I can measure it, but think it must be at least 1mm

I have two belts. I replaced them both about 1 years ago. By putting the belts very tight (tighter than I think they should be), the squealing went away for a short period, but came back pretty quick. I think I was just masking the real problem

More
30 Mar 2024 21:23 #255295 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Tensioner Pulley Question
That's the power steering tensioner. While it is common for the bearing to go and make odd squeaking noises, it shouldn't be affected by electrical loads.
Another common source of belt issues and squealing is the crank pulley falling apart.

More
31 Mar 2024 13:49 #255301 by tomlil01
Replied by tomlil01 on topic Tensioner Pulley Question
I found someone selling the tensioner pulley and crank pulley together at a reasonable price (along with the 2 belts), so I will try changing both when I get a chance. Hopefully that will resolve it.

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds