BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

VVT engine

More
26 Mar 2024 08:03 #255244 by JAGtheman
VVT engine was created by JAGtheman
I am going home to South Africa next week and have found a 2008 Gen 3 I may purchase and leave there for the family. I have a 2008 with a 13A engine. The one in South Africa is also a 2008 Gen3 but it has a VVT engine. It has 200k km (about 125k miles) on the clock. 

Is there any performance or reliability differences in these engines?

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual
Being completely revitalised

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2024 09:49 #255245 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic VVT engine
The VVT engine has no known issues as i know of.

The VVT model however come with pushbutton transfer and different gears in the transmisson. This brings more of the torque over to the gearbox making the earliest models prone to gearbox failure. 2005 to 2008-ish. I am not sure but if there is a facelift front bumper there is also most likely the updated gear box bearings. This varies between markets so I am not sure.
From 2009 or 10 the gearbox bearings have been updated for sure and there is as little gearbox failures as the other models.
With less of the torque in the transfer case there is less problems there, and with more of the torque in the diff, more problems. But these are only marginal differences and no make no practical problems.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
26 Mar 2024 14:46 #255247 by JAGtheman
Replied by JAGtheman on topic VVT engine
Thanks, feedback appreciated! I will see the vehicle in 10 days and go through it carefully.

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual
Being completely revitalised

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds