BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

electric to manual transfer box swap/ help cant use forum!

More
23 Feb 2024 22:04 - 24 Feb 2024 04:54 #254534 by greenmachine
Hey up guys, i,m useless on forums and dont know how to use them.   i didnt know last time!   if this is in the wrong place sorry first.
i,m thinking a bit ahead really , as i havent even got her running yet as i only had her transported back today, but i now have her back yippie!!
can someone point me in the right direction for the info on swapping the boxes please?   mines a 55 plate M13A VVT leccy box,  and i have a donor
2001 car , manual transfer box .  is it a staright forward operation?   any help be great ta all.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2024 04:54 by Lambert. Reason: Swearing. Please remember this is a family friendly forum.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Feb 2024 04:52 #254535 by Lambert
Your first problem is going to be the gearing is going to be way off if you are still on standard 205.70 r15 tyres. There is a plate bolted to the transmission tunnel that when removed allows the lever box to fit. Oh and the bolt holes on the output flanges are different. It's all doable though.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
24 Feb 2024 07:57 #254537 by greenmachine
Ar right ok , cheers Lambert.   i did find a chart deep in here showing ratios, when she ran before the eleccy switches only let me down once off road up the back of Whernside above Dent. i was in 4 low and it took some yiggery pokery and a post on here to get sorted , lucky as i was supervising the install of the mobile phone tower at the time, and managed to get a signal from a diff location, i swapped the switches and never had a problem after but it would be a really bad not being able to get the transfer box back into 4 high eh!   It was just the Donor 2001 Jimny has a stick in it and i thought maybe a good idea to swap if i had one.   what would happen? would it be much lower geared?   I think i might leave that area be and concentrate on getting her started first!  thanks again Lambert.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Feb 2024 10:34 #254539 by Lambert
You would be going from 1 to 1 high with buttons to 1.3 to 1 with the lever. Ideal if you want bigger tyres but too much really for the standard ones.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
24 Feb 2024 17:24 #254550 by greenmachine
roger that Ta lambert. ill leave that be for now then!

More
24 Feb 2024 19:04 #254559 by jackonlyjack
Most change out the R72 box for an R7ME and stick transfer using intermediate prop from 
2001-2004 car 
adaptor plates available from various folks 
but this means 29" tall tyres would be ideal size
235/75/15-225/75/16

More
25 Feb 2024 19:59 #254582 by greenmachine
Cheers Jack, the box my 2005 has in now is from the 2001 Donor is that an R7ME box then from the 2001? the stick/transfer is still in the Donor car.
so it would just swap straight over then eh? but id need a prop shaft and bigger
tall tyres if i did. am i right in thinking that?

More
26 Feb 2024 19:24 #254614 by jackonlyjack
2001 box is R7ME 
Just fit the stick transfer 
If you can live with engine higher revving then no need to change tyres but taller tyres will bring rpm back down 

More
26 Feb 2024 20:42 #254618 by greenmachine
cheers Jack, ill have a crack at that when ive dug into my ecu/immob/no running prob. sounds a good plan,

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds