BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gen 3 transfer box chain replacement

More
24 Nov 2023 06:57 - 24 Nov 2023 08:49 #252339 by yakuza
So my chain has now begun to slip. There is a short sharp loud burp when taking off hard. Been avoiding to take off hard after the trail gear "upgrade" when the chain sprockets was swapped to the lower high range option. Also got the vibration at load and low revs on take off so been using it carefully.
For reference my car is a 2005, push button transfer. Swapping to the SJ413 4:16 transfer case is an option as I got some of those, but very far from the ideal gearing for 235 tyres. Might go bigger like 30" but not today and still not the ideal highway revs, would need to swap diffs as well and I do not want to do that considering prices for axles.

Not much to read about the chain so I suspect it is not so common. I think the transfer case has approx 140000km and the last 50000km is with the trail gear kit. 
SO what to do, buy an original Suzuki Chain or a trail gear chain?
-Edit: checking prices on ebay the Suzuki chain is more or less same price. 
Swap the sprockets back to my original ones for lower highway revs and longer lasting? 
Are there other options for the sprockets and chain than the trail gear kits?

Probably not so many with this kit and as many km/miles on it, but hoping for someone with either chain swap or trail gear experience?

All in all now after the M16A engine i have broken the drive shaft, gear box, rear diff, and now transfer case. What is next? :D

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 24 Nov 2023 08:49 by yakuza.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2023 13:47 #252348 by Roger Fairclough
The Suzuki chain will be matched to suit the standard sprockets and my only question would be, does the Trail-Gear sprockets need the Trail-Gear chain because it is a different length?

Roger

More
24 Nov 2023 14:07 #252349 by Busta
I've replaced a couple of transfer cases because of skipping chains (bigger engine + towing seems to shorten their lifespan somewhat). I've never inspected one afterwards to see if the skipping chain has damaged the teeth, but that will be the crucial thing to check before buying a replacement.
I wouldn't be surprised if both brands used the same chain manufacturer.
SJ boxes are best left for SJs IMO.

More
24 Nov 2023 16:12 #252350 by Roger Fairclough
They may well be made by the same manufacturer, but they may be different lengths. As Zakuza has both - I assume - he will be able to advise.

Roger

More
24 Nov 2023 18:01 #252352 by jackonlyjack
 Believe Tim Lambert
Lambert's engineering.co.uk  does kits for chain transfer boxes
I personally would go SJ transfer
I am going to be doing my spare 413 box but can't decide on 4:90 or 6:4 sumo gears 
Current 4:16 trail gear has been fault less since 2018

More
24 Nov 2023 22:40 #252356 by Busta
Roger, if the chains were different lengths it would slip within 1 meter, not after 50,000km.

More
25 Nov 2023 06:36 #252365 by VadJB74
Recently I’ve changed the chain, decided to use TG one, and all good so far, there 2 types of chain “narrow” for AT and “wide” for MT. TG also provides the part numbers so you can easily understand which is yours. Mine is jb74 AT, but t-case almost identical to gen3
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

More
25 Nov 2023 10:12 #252372 by Roger Fairclough
I imagine the different gear ratio obtained by the Trail-Gear set-up is obtained by varying the number of teeth on the sprockets. Depending on how this was obtained, may well change the number of links on the chain and therefore it's length.

Roger

More
26 Nov 2023 18:07 #252402 by Busta
If they were different lengths then I would imagine that would be documented and the correct part would be included in the kit.
Seeing as it isn't, and knowing that Yakuza has managed to drive 50,000km before having issues, then we can be absolutely certain that incorrect chain length is not the issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

More
27 Nov 2023 08:13 #252410 by yakuza
Thanks all!

Yes chains are supposed to be the same length. But the change in wheel diameter and sprocket number on trail gear kit can return a slight more slack as I got the whirling chain noise under load when I changed the sprockets 50000km ago. And the noise never got better or noticable worse.

And 50000km with those vibrations, My style of driving, M16 engine, alot of towing and Norway is not so flat. I guess it is to be ecpected that the chain is stretched.
I must say driving together with a bunch of Jimnys and even with my trailer i pulled away easy uphill from every one even the new Jimny. I love every single one of my Liana Horses. Still worth it all the bits considering. :)
I guess I will be swapping to an ebay Suzuki original chain. Will check local prices too. The NOK is a weak currency thanks to mr Putin so it is not cheap to buy abroad like it used to.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
27 Nov 2023 08:23 - 27 Nov 2023 08:35 #252411 by yakuza

Believe Tim Lambert
Lambert's engineering.co.uk  does kits for chain transfer boxes
I personally would go SJ transfer
I am going to be doing my spare 413 box but can't decide on 4:90 or 6:4 sumo gears 
Current 4:16 trail gear has been fault less since 2018
If the gear ratios only could fit the 2005 jimny diffs I would do the SJ transfer swap, I like gears better than chains. But I would need crazy large tyres or new diffs to fit. The high range is way off any usable higway rpms.  Original 1.00 and the trail kit gear give me 1.17 wich is ok for 29 or 30", but a little high with 235's. the SJ case will be 1,58 high range. Fitting for 35 -ish tyres. 
And there is some fabrication needed too like the drive shaft and cradle.

Last edit: 27 Nov 2023 08:35 by yakuza.

More
17 Apr 2024 18:10 #255629 by yakuza
Update on the chain. Bought New original on ebay from Partsouq Dubai (!) looks genuine and all good. The worn chain was stretched approx 7-8mm in lenght compared to New one.

All fit just fine. Hoping to do a test drive when I got it all together in a few hours of garage time.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds