BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fitting a Turbo or Supercharger to Gen4

More
24 Jun 2021 08:58 #236096 by 300bhpton

Thankyou for your advice, Bullet cars of australia supply the superchatger and Greddy do a turbo kit (trustpower.com)
Thanks. So do neither of these suppliers have a way of mapping the fuel/spark for the engine? I'm not sure I can see how they can have developed kits without being able to do this?

I guess i am trying to relive my days of a 400bhp series lightweight
What did you do for 400hp? Struggle to believe you were still using the stock LT-76 gearbox and transfer box, or even the axles. Sounds like it might have been fun though.

I thought power pimping the Jimny would be easy . I love its off road capability and the fact its so small.
Kind regards Cameron
I'm sure it is possible, but will cost. And as the vehicle is new and in short supply, i.e. there aren't many in the UK. You'll probably have to forge the R&D path a little.

That said, I think 'big' power isn't going to be a sensible option. The drivetrain just isn't designed for it. Even if you manage to get the engine making it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2021 09:02 #236097 by 300bhpton

Also the Wrangler is quite heavy so has plenty of weight over the rear wheels. The Jimny only weighs as much as a packet of crisps.

Best of luck controlling 150bhp through the back wheels on a Jimny in the rain.

The Wrangler does weigh more, but not massively so. And certainly not over the rear wheels, as they are front engine. The YJ Wrangler (launched in 1986) weighed in at 1,295–1,470 kg. So much closer to the Jimny and could still be had with the 170hp 4.0 litre engine.

I really can't see 150hp from a 1.5 litre forced induction being all that much trouble in a Jimny. Dry or wet.

More
07 Oct 2023 16:53 #251245 by giacomom
Hi all,
Has anyone to fit a supercharger kit or turbo kit yet ?
I saw that Greddy has prepared a good turbo kit and also HKS GT2 a Supercharger kit, which roughly give the same gain in HP and torque at a price of 5500/6000 euros
Between the two, which would you buy and for what reason ?
thank you
Giacomo

More
07 Oct 2023 17:48 #251246 by Scimike
As you asked, hypothetically of course, I would fit the Supercharger.
Simply it sounds better when you mention it in life's eternal game of top trumps.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
07 Oct 2023 19:02 #251248 by 300bhpton

Hi all,
Has anyone to fit a supercharger kit or turbo kit yet ?
I saw that Greddy has prepared a good turbo kit and also HKS GT2 a Supercharger kit, which roughly give the same gain in HP and torque at a price of 5500/6000 euros
Between the two, which would you buy and for what reason ?
thank you
Giacomo
I would go supercharger. Partly as I've never owned one, but I think the more linear power delivery would be better off road.

I'm keen to see someone fit one of these kits. The supercharger is certainly on my list, but probably not for a year yet if I'm being honest.

More
07 Oct 2023 19:59 #251249 by driver9
I understand Twisted considered fitting a supercharger but were unable to find an insurance company in the UK that would insure the modified vehicle.   That's why they have gone down the turbo route.

More
07 Oct 2023 20:12 #251250 by 300bhpton

I understand Twisted considered fitting a supercharger but were unable to find an insurance company in the UK that would insure the modified vehicle.   That's why they have gone down the turbo route.
Not wanting to disagree, but I find that unbelievable. Plenty of extreme modded vehicles about. And I really don't think an insurance company insuring modded cars would give two hoots if it was an engine swap, turbo, supercharger or a combo of all three.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Oct 2023 20:20 #251251 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Fitting a Turbo or Supercharger to Gen4
Are they changing the crank?  The problem with adding any kind of forced induction is detonation, so the engine has to run rather rich when on boost* unless you drop the compression ratio.  Super unleaded helps.

*which is why turbo cars used to do well in the NEDC fuel economy tests but appallingly in the real world - NEDC had such slow acceleration that the turbos never really spooled up.

More
07 Oct 2023 22:07 - 08 Oct 2023 09:09 #251252 by lightning

Also the Wrangler is quite heavy so has plenty of weight over the rear wheels. The Jimny only weighs as much as a packet of crisps.

Best of luck controlling 150bhp through the back wheels on a Jimny in the rain.

The Wrangler does weigh more, but not massively so. And certainly not over the rear wheels, as they are front engine. The YJ Wrangler (launched in 1986) weighed in at 1,295–1,470 kg. So much closer to the Jimny and could still be had with the 170hp 4.0 litre engine.

I really can't see 150hp from a 1.5 litre forced induction being all that much trouble in a Jimny. Dry or wet. (QUOTE)

But the Wrangler is full time 4wd
l keep saying it...the Jimny is RWD only on the road.

Our 2020 Jimny struggles with the standard 100bhp in the wet, with 150bhp and more torque it would be a death trap.

Better tyres might help, but best of luck driving a supercharged Jimny on a damp, leafy road. 

Plant your toe, wait for the turbo to kick in, and hope you can keep the Jimny on the road

Last edit: 08 Oct 2023 09:09 by lightning.

More
07 Oct 2023 22:41 #251253 by Busta
Some interesting comments here!
You can insure a supercharged car just as easily as a turbocharged one.
You don't need to change the crank when you fit a turbocharger.
 You won't die driving a 150hp Jimny. The throttle isn't an on-off switch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Oct 2023 04:04 #251254 by Lambert
Agreed. And don't forget things like the ariel nomad or the rzr turbo they are lighter if not slightly smaller than the jimny but they are double or triple the power output and have similar capability off road. It's also worth noting that you would be going into ownership of a modified jimny knowing that it is modified and therefore it wouldn't be unreasonable for you to use some decorum until you became familiar with it. It's why 911 turbos come with a training course if you are not a repeat customer.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
08 Oct 2023 08:41 #251256 by jlines
In the car wow video Matt was struggling with the traction control kicking in although he was blaming the tires rather than the turbo. I still think it’s an accident waiting to happen if you don’t know how to handle a Jimny on the road. 

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds