× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Type 3 CV?

More
05 Sep 2019 11:24 #213168 by Mau
Type 3 CV? was created by Mau
Hi there. New to the forum and to Jimnys. I'm hoping someone can help identify my CV - it doesn't appear to be a type 1 or 2 as defined by the wiki.
It's from an '03 soft-top. It has 6 balls, an inner case diameter of 72.6 and 26 splines on the outer shaft, but 20 splines on the inner race and a shaft diameter is 24.5mm.
The inner case has "AYD 143 Y3 164" stamped on it.

Any idea if this is a type 3, and what my replacement options are? Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Sep 2019 04:11 #213184 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Type 3 CV?
Welcome to the forum. I would suggest that you send all your vehicle details to Martin via the shop at the top of the page and he should be able to get a suitable replacement.

Dreadnaught (black 2011)

More
02 Dec 2019 07:41 - 02 Dec 2019 07:42 #216144 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Type 3 CV?
Mau, thank you again for doing the investigation and also for taking pictures of this joint. It indeed appears to be the elusive type 3.

I see that you contributed to the wiki by adding the details about the construction of this CV joint type.

I have just incorporated both of your pictures into the wiki and into the CV joint replacement article.

Unfortunately I can not help you with obtaining the replacement, but forum owner Martin might.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2019 07:42 by Bosanek.

More
02 Dec 2019 08:43 #216145 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Type 3 CV?
As far as I can see, no one makes a replacement.

My recommendation is to buy a complete scrap type 1 or type 2 driveshaft and convert away from type 3

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
03 Dec 2019 09:36 - 03 Dec 2019 09:37 #216187 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Type 3 CV?
A practical idea Martin, but might that also require the change of a differential because of different number of splines on the halfshafts (if that happens to be the case)?

Do all Jimnys 3 have the same number of splines on the differential output sides towards the halfshafts?
Last edit: 03 Dec 2019 09:37 by Bosanek.

More
03 Dec 2019 09:49 - 04 Dec 2019 09:53 #216189 by Mau
Replied by Mau on topic Type 3 CV?
Thanks Bosanek & Martin. I did indeed end up buying scrap replacements. Unfortunately they were bought unseen and I now have a type 1 on the offside and a type 2 on the nearside.
This does however mean I can confirm that the number of splines on the diff side is the same for all types!
Last edit: 04 Dec 2019 09:53 by Mau.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bosanek

Time to create page: 0.275 seconds