BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Wheel Alignment Benefits ??

More
25 Oct 2018 07:13 #197022 by grumyoldjoe
Just had new boots fitted all round and was asked if I wanted the wheel aligmnent work done after they did a free check and found they are slighlty out..
I declined especially as it would cost 60 notes, (then 40 after i said no )

My thoughts was "whats the point if ithe car is going to be on and off road over pot holes speed humps forest tracks and country lanes"
I can understand it if I was doing lots of motorway miles etc for wear and economy
Is there a benefit having it done a Jimny ??
TIA

Wine improves with age.
The older I get the more I like it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2018 09:35 #197034 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Wheel Alignment Benefits ??
The only adjustment available on a Jimny is the tracking. Unless it's constantly pulling to one side or wearing tyres unevenly it is probably fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: grumyoldjoe

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Oct 2018 14:59 #197041 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Wheel Alignment Benefits ??
Was it Kwik Fit by chance?

More
25 Oct 2018 16:06 #197045 by grumyoldjoe

mickt wrote: Was it Kwik Fit by chance?

Twas indeed.

Wine improves with age.

More
25 Oct 2018 16:11 #197047 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic Wheel Alignment Benefits ??
when i buy new boots i point out i like the wheel aligmnent FREE it works but not all the time,,,

More
25 Oct 2018 16:23 #197048 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Wheel Alignment Benefits ??
You can also do this yourself.
Put something white like chalk or paint on the center of the tire thread on the rear of the tire..
then take a piece of board or a piece of string with two nails in it to make mark on the white spots on your tire.
then roll the car forward so the mark comes to the front of the tire, then measure how much toe in you have from the difference between the two measurements..

Hmm did anyone understand this? :)

Take into consideration that you might not get to measure on the complete opposite diametrical places.

anyways it could help to have a bit more toe in if you have changed to bigger tires. The manual says 2-6mm with standard tires. On my SJ with 31" i had 10-12mm wich reduced the wobble.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
25 Oct 2018 16:26 #197049 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Wheel Alignment Benefits ??

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Oct 2018 18:39 #197057 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Wheel Alignment Benefits ??
Kwik fit are renowned for trying to con people for jobs that do not need doing. Stay away from them. The fitters are untrained and would not know what a torque wrench is and how to use it properly and why you should use it apart from mostly anything mechanical!

More
25 Oct 2018 18:42 - 25 Oct 2018 18:45 #197058 by Max Headroom

yakuza wrote:
Hmm did anyone understand this? :)

Heheh - yes, actually. Though I got a bit concerned when it got to the bit about nailing some wood to the tyres :ohmy:

And thats a +1 from me regarding mickt's impression of Kwik Fit

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 25 Oct 2018 18:45 by Max Headroom.

More
25 Oct 2018 18:55 #197061 by grumyoldjoe
Compared to my recent experience with Halfrauds the guys at Kwik Fit were master tradesmen believe me.

Wine improves with age.

More
26 Oct 2018 05:49 #197071 by kirkynut
I always use a small independent tyre place. They rely on repeat custom from happy customers and not their name as part of a national franchise.

A family friend recently got charged for an aircon repair for aircon the car is not fitted with from a national franchise. She didn't understand the technical rubbish they spoke of about compressors and condensers.

Find one you trust and go to them, even if they are £5 more per tyre. Use them or lose them and be stuck with the rubbish ones.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
26 Oct 2018 07:53 #197074 by jackonlyjack
I fitted four new rod ends recently
Then proceeded to go get it tracked 40 quid 60 quid :pinch: I said I only want it tracked lol
new ends nothing hard to adjust :laugh: ........
Ended up at local ATS euro master....WINNER 25 quid....

Jack

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds