BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

M16 straight swap?

• JonnyJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Dec 2012 16:10 #56340 by JonnyJimny
M16 straight swap? was created by JonnyJimny
I'm looking for better acceleration from my jimny to make it more usable for camping etc. I don't want to mess about with the M13 and I'd like something that looks all original and factory looking. Is an M16 pretty much a straight swap or is there a lot more to it than meets the eye?

Many thanks, Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JonnyJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Dec 2012 17:50 #56347 by JonnyJimny
Replied by JonnyJimny on topic M16 straight swap?
Excellent news thanks. Any particular engine to look out for? How do they take to bing longitudinally mounted? Sump etc?

Thanks for your help.

• Bigchridy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Dec 2012 19:05 #56353 by Bigchridy
Replied by Bigchridy on topic Re: M16 straight swap?
I can confirm it is a straight swap. You only need a bare m16a engine plus the relevant injectors. All manifolds etc are reused.

Chris

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

• Bigchridy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Dec 2012 19:11 #56354 by Bigchridy
The m16a blocks have the same castings as the m13a so the engine mounts just bolt straight to the block. You will have to discard the oil filter housing from the m16a as it will foul on the chassis. Buy a new oil filter thread for a jimny or reuse the old one so the oil filter can mount directly to the block. You will also have to swap the oil strainer and sump over as the m16a will foul the axle. And you will need the jimny rocker cover as the oil dip stick is in a different place.

Chris

• JonnyJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Dec 2012 23:35 #56380 by JonnyJimny
Thanks so much for all your help. I'm an ex-BMW & Audi tech so it'll be a doodle to do but I just wanted some clarification regarding compatible parts etc.

• JonnyJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Dec 2012 23:38 #56381 by JonnyJimny
So just to clarify, my jimny is a 2004 M13A, so a M16A is ok? I'm confused regarding the vvt

• Bigchridy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2012 18:14 #56435 by Bigchridy
If your jimny is a m13a then you need an m16a. If it is a m13a vvt then you will need an m16a vvt. If its just a m16a you are after then look for an old Liana. I believe they fit the m16a vvt to newer grand vitaras.

From what I can gather you can't fit a vvt unit into a jimny that hasn't previously had one in it as the ecu won't be set up to run vvt.

Hope this helps

Chris

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds