BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

4WD light on but no drive to front wheels

• ne-crock
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Nov 2012 22:02 #54405 by ne-crock
As title,

i was under the impression my front hubs were perminantly locked by accident, but i was going to live with it as i still had 4wd, but after a play in the slippy stuff earlier it turns out i have no drive to the front wheels at all,

but the light isnt flashing its a solid light as if the hubs are locked, but theres no clicking noise when engaged,
I've searched the forum but i've only found topics saying about the flashing light?

any ideas going to give it a strip down on monday (weather depending)

on a side not my clutch is also on its way out, how are paddle clutches to live with day to day, my jimnys currently my daily but that is to change the begining of the new year, worth the few months of suffering for the rewards?

any help would be great cheers

Crock

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Nov 2012 22:08 #54408 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic 4WD light on but no drive to front wheels
I just bought a standard blueprint clutch, paddle clutches vicious on the road. Anyway Jimny clutch is not sealed and paddle clutch is no more resistant to mud and water than standard clutch and twice the price.

• ne-crock
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Nov 2012 23:24 #54416 by ne-crock
Replied by ne-crock on topic 4WD light on but no drive to front wheels
Just bought adapter plates and hopefully picking up manual hubs on the weekend so hopefully 4wd shouldnt be an issue,

Well my jimny had a new clutch a year and a half ago and its almost gone, i'd like to uprate rather than replace

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2012 08:26 #54423 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic 4WD light on but no drive to front wheels
The 4wd light only detects a vacuum it doesn't detect if the hubs have actually moved or not.
On mine I got a vacuum but the hubs would only engage sometimes and unlock sometimes. I think the hubs were probably gunked up with grease.
Anyway I did the same as you and fitted manual hubs, no problems now (well except having to go out in the cold to engage them!)

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2012 09:10 #54424 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic 4WD light on but no drive to front wheels
There is a little vacuum filter, blue in colour, underneath the fuses under the bonnet. Sometimes, cleaning it out, allows more vacuum to activate the hubs. I'd be doing that before anything else.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds