BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

33s Rubbing

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2012 20:23 #50640 by Smoggy
33s Rubbing was created by Smoggy
Whats your ideas on this? I was thinking it needs more than just trimming the "folded metal". Now rather than beating the footwell with a hammer, I would cut a 45 degree section out and welding in a fillet. Any comments.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2012 20:31 #50646 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic 33s Rubbing
is that the hinge pillor for the door is it a box section
it can be cut and welded with thicker metal just to restrenthen it

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2012 20:43 #50656 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic 33s Rubbing
Looks tight in there mate , even with that material removed wont it foul under articulation on the rest ?
Have you not fitted the lift yet ?

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2012 21:01 #50665 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic 33s Rubbing

markyp2000 wrote: is that the hinge pillor for the door is it a box section
it can be cut and welded with thicker metal just to restrenthen it

Yeah it is the door hinge box section but because the main problem is at the bottom of the section I was hoping that cutting it and replating it further back might work.

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2012 21:05 #50667 by Smoggy

reaper wrote: Looks tight in there mate , even with that material removed wont it foul under articulation on the rest ?
Have you not fitted the lift yet ?

All the lifts are in place and thats just taken on the level with no articulation :(

I have some Grayston spacers which I could fit, this would also widen the track which might help stabilise things a bit - BUT I fear that with those tyres spacers would push the stress on the axles too much, even though they are chromo.

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2012 21:08 #50668 by Smoggy
Gazwell who sold me the 33s offered me the 1.5'' extended radius arms he has to help with the problem but I fear this may cause more problems by upsetting the castor angle by rotating the setup backwards?

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2012 21:08 #50669 by reaper
Thing with fitting spacers is when locking the steering over the tyre is further out so pushes even more into the door section

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2012 21:12 #50670 by reaper

Smoggy wrote: Gazwell who sold me the 33s offered me the 1.5'' extended radius arms he has to help with the problem but I fear this may cause more problems by upsetting the castor angle by rotating the setup backwards?

I suspect he also moved the mounting points to compensate for this when he fitted the axles ( were they yota?)

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Oct 2012 21:13 #50671 by Smoggy

reaper wrote: Thing with fitting spacers is when locking the steering over the tyre is further out so pushes even more into the door section

Mmm yeah I see what you mean but it would only be at the outer edge of the door pillar then, which I might be able to overcome. The inner arch would be then less likely to catch with the spacers on?

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2012 03:47 - 18 Oct 2012 05:35 #50685 by Paul4x4
Replied by Paul4x4 on topic 33s Rubbing
With wider wheel or with more offset, the tires will rub even more, that's for sure. You just need to cut, weld and hammer it to make room! My tires don't rub any, and I cut just a little bit off of that flat edge and then hammered the corner in when those spotwelds(in that edge) were cut off, and then welded it back together. And the final touch was to hammer the rest of that that flat edge level with the inner arch all the way up.

But you have more aggressive tires than me, so you'll have more problems. I'm interested to see what's under that corner if you cut it open, because that's what I need to do too when I get some real offroad tires for my Jim.
Last edit: 18 Oct 2012 05:35 by Paul4x4.

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2012 07:29 #50690 by Smoggy
Well Paul it looks like were both gonna find out whats behind it soon as im gonna carefully take a grinder to it in the next week or so :)

• Dorfl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2012 08:48 #50693 by Dorfl
Replied by Dorfl on topic 33s Rubbing
slightly crappy photo but

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds