BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Clutch and fitting procedure

• jimnydms
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2012 20:29 #48004 by jimnydms
Clutch and fitting procedure was created by jimnydms
hi i need to replace my clutch it was on its way out but with the big tyres and strain its pretty much gone,

any recommendations for a stronger than OEM clutch as i imagine the OEM clutch is not up for the job on big tyres lift crawler box and winching etc

any thoughts welcome please

can this be done from underneath? its on 235's and i got some big ramps to drive the front on to.

anythink i should look out for? procedure etc

cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• toph
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2012 20:39 #48005 by toph
Replied by toph on topic Clutch and fitting procedure
Quite possibly the single most pain in the ass job I have done on my jimny!

If you have option of getting some one to do it for you I would let them loose the skin on the backs of their hand and bang their hand on the transfer box.

• jimnydms
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2012 20:57 #48006 by jimnydms
Replied by jimnydms on topic Clutch and fitting procedure
great lol was the answer i was half expecting. what clutch did you fit?

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2012 21:51 #48012 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Clutch and fitting procedure
try
www.rhinorays.co.uk see what he says

i did mine on my back didnt need to jack it up as i have a 4.5" lift what can i say never again one tip i can give you if you do it and its a single cam engine when you fit the clutch dont tighten the clutch bolt right up leave them loose so the plate just moves fit the gear box then where the clutch cable go on the fork you can get to the bolts only reason i did this was due to there being to studs on the engine and it stops you from twisting want wiggling the box up and down to get it on the splins if they are not ligned up good luck and enjoy

• jimnydms
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2012 21:54 #48014 by jimnydms
im thinking maybe i ll get someone to do it for me lol sounds a bitch.

any thought s on what clutch, OEM or any uprated 4x4 clutch ?

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2012 22:08 #48016 by markyp2000
try the wed address i put up

More
12 Sep 2012 22:18 #48018 by Basketcase
hi i had to change the clutch and gearbox on my jimny about a year ago now id never done anything this major before i had no idea what the hell i was doing to be honest but i managed to do it all and it was pretty easy i had no ramps only a small trolley jack small bottle jack and 2 axle stands lol. i had to remove the cat part of the exhaust and i struyggled like mad getting the gearbox in and out until i realised if you rotate it 90degrees it pretty much falls out. as for the clutch well alingning that was really simple, everyone told me (mainly mechanics from work) id really have trouble aligning it but as the box was out of the way i could sit up under the car and get my head in line with the engin/clutch and just managed to align it by eye that way. all in all i did it in about 8 hours but if i had to do it again now itd probably take me 5....just make sure you got a bloody good big pry bar and a decent socket set with a big long bar :) hope this helps.....also i had no suspension lift at the time my jim was bog standard lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: jimnydms

• toph
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Sep 2012 14:12 #48048 by toph
Replied by toph on topic Clutch and fitting procedure

jimnydms wrote: great lol was the answer i was half expecting. what clutch did you fit?

I took out a paddle clutch which was too harsh for greenlaning and replaced it with an exeddy normal one.

• jimnydms
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Sep 2012 14:22 #48053 by jimnydms
cool, i have been doing some research on clutches and euro car parts stock exeedy, which i think has a good name and i can get it at 80+vat which is not too bad, think im going to have a crack at it myself lol

you ve found the exeedy one ok lasts ok and handles off road punishment ?

More
13 Sep 2012 16:06 #48069 by maverick

toph wrote: Quite possibly the single most pain in the ass job I have done on my jimny!

If you have option of getting some one to do it for you I would let them loose the skin on the backs of their hand and bang their hand on the transfer box.

I quite AGREE - after messing around underneath and EVENTUALLY getting it fitted, i decided the NEXT time that I would:

a) Pay someone else to do it
b) Consider taking the engine out!

But will probably just do option a).

Jalapeño, IISY?

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Sep 2012 17:03 #48072 by markyp2000
when i did mine i just pulled the box bach and jacked it up to the floor thats why i couldnt line my clutch up

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2012 08:38 #48096 by VAXXi
Replied by VAXXi on topic Clutch and fitting procedure
Centerforce and Zanfi also make HD clutches.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds