BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Brakes pulling

• v8dougie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Aug 2012 10:06 #45502 by v8dougie
Brakes pulling was created by v8dougie
So the story...Jimny went in for MOT last week and failed for severe front brake imbalence. It failed on this last year, I stripped it all back and regreased the sliders, and it went through. Brakes got noticeably worse fairly quickly, but did nothing until this MOT.

Have just stripped the whole caliper and followed Martins guide and rebuilt them with the full Bigg Red kit. All put back on and whole system thoroughly bled. Driving it around, wheels lock nicely, but it still pulls to the left, quite badly to be honest. Think it will pass the MOT but isn't nice in the event of an emergancy stop.

My questions are, are the calipers interchangeable? Think this might make a difference if I swap them side to side? Does anyone else's car pull to the left under braking? Could it be because there is only one bleed nipple at the back?

Just don't understand it. Just before any questions come in. I have not changed the discs, they are used but in very good condition with only a small lip, I will change them after one more set of pads. I have ordered some Ferodo Premier pads, they have not arrived yet though. The current pads are well worn but very even which is odd considering the last years driving of imbalenced brakes.

Any help much appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gromit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Aug 2012 17:07 #45516 by Gromit
Replied by Gromit on topic Re: Brakes pulling
Sounds like right hand caliper piston is seized, will always pull to the side that is working ok.

• v8dougie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Aug 2012 18:07 #45526 by v8dougie
Replied by v8dougie on topic Re: Brakes pulling
Could it still be seized? Wheel locks okay when heavy braking, and rotates freely when brakes off. Calipers have just had full strip down, pistons out and gently sanded with 1500 wet and dry paper. Tested in caliper before reassembly and it slid in and out very smoothly.

More
05 Aug 2012 18:34 #45531 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: Brakes pulling
Could be a knackered track rod end. You do need to make sure that you get it on a nice level road though as it will follow the camber quite easily.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Aug 2012 20:08 - 05 Aug 2012 20:12 #45536 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Re: Brakes pulling
could be a collapsed brake hose holding a brake on slighty or put the caliper on the other side and see if it pulls the other way

but seeing that it is a problem with brakes and you have put your life and other road uses lifes at risk but under taking the work your self and not solving the problem id take it to some one who nos what thay are doing that is unless you are in the mechanic yourself
Last edit: 05 Aug 2012 20:12 by markyp2000.

• v8dougie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Aug 2012 22:52 #45547 by v8dougie
Could be a track rod end, i did wonder if it was linked to the tracking. After my last off roading session the car has been pulling to the left, so something must have got knocked. It is going in to get the tracking done with the re mot anyway and I can see if that makes any difference. So I assume the calipers are interchangeable then, might try that too!

If the tail tail signs of a collapsed brake hose are sticking brakes then I do not think that is an issue. Plus gave it all a thorough check over as wanted to change anything else i needed to at the same time. Also, will get the brakes tested on the rolling road before handing it over to a "mechanic", no offence to the good ones out there, but my experience shows that I will have done a much more thorough job. Have no worries about the safety of the brakes, and they are much better than before.

• v8dougie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Aug 2012 21:59 #46146 by v8dougie
Well thought I would update...

Tried changing the calipers from side to side, no difference. Piston not seized. Only option left was the collapsed brake hose as suggested by markyp2000

Bought one from WilcoMotoSave (£15 as oppose to the £36 my normal motor factors was asking). Fitted it along with the new Ferodo pads, and hey presto, nice straight braking and MOT pass!

Thanks a lot chaps, and especially markyp2000. For anyone who is interested or reading this in 3 years time after some help, the brake hose removed looked absolutely fine. A thorough check with a helper applying the brakes still didn't show any issues. It looks original, matched all the others so a difficult one to find.

Cheers again! B)

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds