BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

bleeding brakes

More
04 Sep 2023 05:43 #250651 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic bleeding brakes
Truth Rogerzilla. Mine is a 2005 and have no compenasating valve underneath. (is there no bleed valve at the ABS pump or the valve next to it?)

I have allways clamped the hose as Steve said. No problems.

To ease the job of bleeding (alone) there is an air operated ejector pump-ish thing that you connect to the bleed valve that pulls the air and fluid out.
Recommended if you do the servicing on a few of your own cars and the daughters cars :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Sep 2023 08:51 #250654 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic bleeding brakes
I normally use the Vizibleed one-way valve but I have the bleed nipple almost closed for the last few pedal strokes (and no more than 1/4 turn open at any time).  The risk with this, or any vacuum method, is that air can be drawn in around the nipple threads.  Some suggest smearing grease around the nipple to reduce the risk of air creeping past the threads, but then you could get grease in the hydraulic system.

Because drum brakes have some shoe movement in them, and return springs, you will not get as "hard" a pedal as in a car with all-round discs.  It is very difficult to distinguish between a springy pedal and a spongy pedal but the main thing is that the bleed tube shows no air bubbles.

More
04 Sep 2023 14:08 #250660 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic bleeding brakes
I find it easier to change braking fluid with a slightly pressurized bottle. I do not use 20psi but much less, 5-10psi and it works really good.
Attachments:

More
04 Sep 2023 15:34 #250664 by auchenblae
Replied by auchenblae on topic bleeding brakes
Of course no one here appears to have a post 2015 car with the stability control. In these cars there is a bleed nipple on both rear drum brake cylinders. The stability control is rather dangerous and kicked in recently sending the car across the road and made the front end outside suspension compress and the nearside to rise. If there had been a car coming the other way there would have been a bad accident. We necer had an issue with our 1999 and 2007 car.

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Sep 2023 16:12 #250665 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic bleeding brakes
It must be quite hard to retrofit ESP to a 16-year old design with "interesting" handling characteristics. My understanding of a Jimny 3rd gen is that it is not particularly prone to rollovers, Suzuki having been burned by the notorious Consumer Reports "exposé" of the SJ410. It will slide rather than tip, unless it hits a kerb or something.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Sep 2023 03:29 #250669 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic bleeding brakes

Of course no one here appears to have a post 2015 car with the stability control. In these cars there is a bleed nipple on both rear drum brake cylinders. The stability control is rather dangerous and kicked in recently sending the car across the road and made the front end outside suspension compress and the nearside to rise. If there had been a car coming the other way there would have been a bad accident. We necer had an issue with our 1999 and 2007 car.

What were you doing to it to get it to fire the esp on the road? I have it on mine and I have yet to set it off even in snow with the duelers though hooning in a field just makes it cut power and work the abs on the spinning wheel it doesn't throw the car around.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds