BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jumping into 4WD when driving in 2WD.

• SOTA
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2012 15:19 #36331 by SOTA
It only started doing it on the way home from a quarry today.

I haven't been doing any major off road work, just some short tracks and climbing hills.

I pull of in 1st gear, in 2WD, and then when I go to 2nd gear I see the green light has come on and the 4WD gear lever is jumping. I change to 2nd and put it back into 2WD and then it will stay in 2WD until I stop and as I come back through the gears it pops in 4WD again!

I'm having a look now, but can't see anything amiss, no puddles of oil or anything like that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2012 16:36 #36341 by Obarno
It could be that you have broken one of the transfer box mounting rubbers and the transfer Box is moving around a lot. Have a look under the car and if it is broken the t box will be down at one end or leaning a bit to one side. If you are really unlucky you could have broken the cast aluminium mounting. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but in either case you are not looking a a lot of money.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

• SOTA
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2012 17:48 #36347 by SOTA
Thanks, I'll have a look.

• adamjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2012 17:54 #36349 by adamjimny
Replied by adamjimny on topic Re: Jumping into 4WD when driving in 2WD.
Yeah same happened to me on jimny transfer so i cut mount down even more and used box section bolted to it to give it correct height and never broke again. On the transfer box im selling actually aswell.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

More
26 Mar 2012 09:50 #36369 by Johnniehec
SOTA, Have a look at this thread,
www.bigjimny.com/index.php?option=com_ku...7&id=32289&Itemid=75
Mine does exactly the same, unless it's a physical problem such as a broken mount it'll be wind up.
John.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

• SOTA
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Mar 2012 13:01 #36448 by SOTA
Thanks I had a read and that makes sense.
I was in 4WD before the trouble started...

I've already bought a set of KAP transfer box mountings to fit this coming weekend :)

Better safe than sorry I s'pose.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds