BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gearbox!

• woodsider
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2012 01:02 #36001 by woodsider
Gearbox! was created by woodsider
Hello, I have a 2007 Jimny, from new and have done 48000 miles. Careful lady driver! (yes, there are some of us about!)

Gearbox has gone this week - surely this is not generally expected at this age and lowish mileage?

Any similar experiences please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2012 07:50 #36009 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: Gearbox!
They are not generally troublesome. Are you sure it's the gearbox, not the clutch or the transfer box?

What are the symptoms?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• woodsider
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2012 10:38 #36015 by woodsider
Replied by woodsider on topic Re: Gearbox!
Hellish grinding noise. started out as a "flapping noise" which made me think I had a cardboard box or a bucket wedged underneath. got out to check and nothing visible. Mechanic thought it was gearbox or transfer box but has now come to decision its gearbox.

Jimny has to go off to have it re-conditioned. quoting 3/4 days around £950 collected, done and returned. Dealer £1265 +VAT and labour. Think it has gone or is going today to poss Black Diamond at Warrington.

Pig sick as I run an animal rescue outfit and so permanently skint!! Also use vehicle for feeding and checking feral or abandoned cats till we can do something about them. Now having to rely on lifts from Grumpy Old Git.

• woodsider
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2012 10:51 #36018 by woodsider
Correction to the above - only joking re reference to GOG! He just prefers not to have to take me here, there and everywhere unless it concerns biscuits or chocolate! Sad thing, this old age.

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2012 11:23 #36020 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Re: Gearbox!
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationare you committed to having it refurbished now?
You can get a 2nd hand one on ebay for £350 + delivery.

Surely that would be cheaper, you could even weigh the old one in for scrap to get some money back!

Its the first time of being a regular on here for over 18 months that I have heard of a gearbox going...

• adamjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2012 12:35 #36024 by adamjimny
Replied by adamjimny on topic Re: Gearbox!
It could be a bearing in transferbox....iv seen that happen and same problems on noise front

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

• woodsider
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2012 14:21 #36026 by woodsider
Hello Goatboy - yes, think its on its way by now.

• woodsider
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2012 14:22 #36027 by woodsider
Oh don't say that! Not now its on its way to have gearbox recon.

Why didn't I find this forum last week?

More
20 Mar 2012 18:19 #36047 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: Gearbox!
Not only that but there have been some instances of Gearbox failure that Suzuki have owned up to and stumped up some of the costs, so it could be a known problem.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• woodsider
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Mar 2012 08:29 #36111 by woodsider
Ohhh! But someone in the Trade told me last night that the Dealer wouldn't want to know because I didn't have it seviced there from the start. Then I thought that there had been a court case at some point that had been won on the grounds that to force you into coming back whilst it was under warranty was akin to restrictive practices.

Although, I they have had nothing else from me - Grensons didn't even have to sell me the Jimny. Not only did I know exactly what I wanted, but I took my niece with me and she signed up to one too. Two "sales" in half an hour and all they had to do was show us the colours available!

• woodsider
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Mar 2012 07:43 #36172 by woodsider
Very hasty update - layshaft gone. Also having clutch overhauled whilst the gearbox is out, in view of the mileage.

More
28 Mar 2012 06:18 #36483 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Re: Gearbox!

mlines wrote: Not only that but there have been some instances of Gearbox failure that Suzuki have owned up to and stumped up some of the costs, so it could be a known problem.

Hi Martin,

Do you know what the nature of the gearbox failures?

Mine has failed for the second time.

The first time they said it was a collapsed bearing, the pieces of which damaged the main shaft. This was fixed under warranty.
This time (two years later, now outside of warranty) they say its a broken tooth on the second gear, the pieces of which have damaged the bearings.

They're replacing all the bearings and the second gear at the equivalent of 680 pounds.
If this is a common problem, I would really like to get Suzuki to foot the bill, or at least part of it.

Regards

Vic

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds