BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fabrication Advice

• Emplan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Mar 2012 20:10 #35969 by Emplan
Fabrication Advice was created by Emplan
Hi Guys,

I'm planning on having a bumper made that looks completely stock to house my new winch (when it arrives) :whistle:

Its so important to me that it looks stock, the question is this..........what guage metal does it need to be made out of, 4, 5, 6mm maybe?

As soon as the winch arrives i'll take off my standard bumper and store it, then i'll start investigating how it will fit and what needs to be done?

Any good ideas please?

Regards

Tony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sandez
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2012 05:47 #36003 by Sandez
Replied by Sandez on topic Re: Fabrication Advice
Have you checked out here about mounting the winch inside the existing bumper? Unless your after protection as well it may be a cheaper and easier option

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2012 07:04 #36005 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: Fabrication Advice
you want the winch mount & brackets to be at least 6mm & you can do the rest of the bumper in 3mm to save on weight

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2012 07:21 #36006 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic Re: Fabrication Advice
As vitara-mad says 6mm for mount then 3mm for bumper you stand a better chance of getting it bent then , most fab shops have the machinery to bend 3mm but above is harder to find so would probably need welding together out of sections

• Emplan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2012 19:47 #36070 by Emplan
Replied by Emplan on topic Re: Fabrication Advice
Thanks a lot guys for the info :kiss:

Dont suppose anyone has a good recommendation of a fabricator in Essex by any chance do they :P ;)

• Blissett
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2012 22:48 #36098 by Blissett
Replied by Blissett on topic Re: Fabrication Advice
Just sent my Jimny to a place in redditch for bumpers n sliders.... Waiting to see what he comes up with....

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds