BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rocklobster prop question

More
17 Mar 2012 17:10 #35729 by kirkynut
I am lucky enough to have a late sammi front prop on the rear of My JimJam with the right flanges (my Mrs still laughes when I talk about flanges on a car!) but I can't remember why we use them - are they longer or shorter than a standard Jimny rear Prop?

Yes I could take mine off and measure it against my old rear prop but that's a faff so I thought I'd pick the brains of those in the know on here!!!

Cheers

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2012 17:34 #35733 by Obarno
The original Jimny prop is about 1 1/2 inches shorter than a Sammi front prop. I had an adaptor/spacer made for my rocklobster that bolts on to the Sammi flange and takes the original rear prop.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

More
17 Mar 2012 19:38 #35746 by kirkynut
Cheers for that.

Next question, why do we all use a longer prop and faff about with getting the right flanges and not just use a prop spacer that has the holes in it for all the different Zuk prop flanges?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Mar 2012 20:48 #35758 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Rocklobster prop question
problem with spacers is you end up with steeper UJ angles

• adamjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Mar 2012 20:54 #35761 by adamjimny
Replied by adamjimny on topic Re: Rocklobster prop question
And the jimny rear only extends a little bit but sj extends quite a few inches more

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

More
18 Mar 2012 06:22 #35774 by kirkynut
Cheers, I thought the UJ angle might come into it but hadn't thought about the spined part of the prop being longer on the Sj prop to allow more movement of it.

I knew there were good reasons and I'm sure I knew once but the theorist in me wanted the info stored in the old brain cells as I like to know the why's and wherefors with things - not understanding sends me mad!

Kirkynut

More
18 Mar 2012 11:05 - 18 Mar 2012 11:08 #35784 by Obarno
The reason I had a spacer made was that the Sammi prop I had was not really the best as it had some play in the sliding joint, so the options were find or buy a new or better one, or do something different. The spacer is not straight forward as the Sammi flange has 4 bolts whereas the original Jimny has 5. Also the Jimny prop has a kind of bell end on it so the spacer also has to accommodate that as well. Also the bolts have to be captive, so what started out as a good idea became a bit more involved! The fact there is a spacer has little or no effect on the prop angle as it runs more or less straight. I don't think the movement on the joint has any effect detrimental effect either as there is still a fair amount of movement on the joint. Also if you consider the original car that either of the props came off neither had huge amounts of suspension movement. Unless you have really extreme suspension it's not a problem. I would do it again as Jimny props are much easier to come by than Sammi props. As regards strength I suspect that the Sammi prop would be stronger.
Just my thoughts!

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15
Last edit: 18 Mar 2012 11:08 by Obarno.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds