BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rear rod

• Gromit
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2012 16:19 - 11 Mar 2012 16:21 #35282 by Gromit
Rear rod was created by Gromit
Excuse my stupidity but what is the rod that sits behind the rear shockers, is it the rear panhard rod or an anti roll bar ???
Last edit: 11 Mar 2012 16:21 by Gromit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2012 16:39 #35283 by Paul4x4
Replied by Paul4x4 on topic Re: Rear rod
Yes, that's panhard.

• Gromit
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2012 17:00 #35289 by Gromit
Replied by Gromit on topic Re: Rear rod

Paul4x4 wrote: Yes, that's panhard.

Cheers mate, just needed to know what it was called as I bent mine laning yesterday, thought it was solid metal but it's only tubing . Can get a 2nd hand one from Cam Suzuki for £20 .

More
11 Mar 2012 17:38 - 11 Mar 2012 17:39 #35297 by dirtydogz
Replied by dirtydogz on topic Re: Rear rod
Weld a length of 1" angle along the panhard rods that will make it stronger.

Attachment DSCF1518.JPG not found

Attachment DSCF1515_2012-03-11.JPG not found

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Mar 2012 17:39 by dirtydogz.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2012 18:12 #35301 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: Rear rod

Gromit wrote:

Paul4x4 wrote: Yes, that's panhard.

Cheers mate, just needed to know what it was called as I bent mine laning yesterday, thought it was solid metal but it's only tubing . Can get a 2nd hand one from Cam Suzuki for £20 .

Tubing is stil stronger than solid.

More
11 Mar 2012 21:19 #35320 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: Rear rod

TomDK wrote: Tubing is stil stronger than solid.

Only if they have the same mass, then the solid bar would have a much smaller diameter.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2012 21:32 - 11 Mar 2012 21:37 #35322 by TomDK
Are you sure about that ?

I know that rollcages, bicycle frames and with other things. The weight of these things are reduced by increasing the outer tube diameter and decreasing the wall thickness, and by that making the tube much lighter but stronger.

So i don't think mass equals strenght.

A tube is usually stiffer than than a rod of the same material and outer diameter. Where a solid rod tends to bend more easily.
Last edit: 11 Mar 2012 21:37 by TomDK.

More
11 Mar 2012 21:59 #35324 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: Rear rod
Try this: get a 1/2"diameter mild steel tube, say 0.6 mm wall thickness. bend it round your knee.
Now try with a 1/2" bar ;)

There are lots of nasty formulas that I don't have a clue about, but strength:weight ratio is better for tubes. If you make a tube with half the mass of a solid bar of the same diameter (by boring the middle out) then the tube is more than half as strong as the bar. Within reason, the greater the diameter, the thinner the wall can be for the same strength, until you reach the point that you can squash the tube walls inwards, then it will bend easily.

If you made a roll cage from solid bar of the same diameter it would be loads stronger, but impossibly heavy. If you made one of the same weight from solid bars, the bars would have to be very thin, and would bend easier than the tubes you have now.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Mar 2012 10:24 #35344 by Monkey
Replied by Monkey on topic Re: Rear rod

Strongest panhard rod on the market ;) IMO.

I won't get into the argument about what's stronger with tube vs pipe vs solid bar as that is a massive topic ;)

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Mar 2012 14:48 - 12 Mar 2012 14:51 #35358 by TomDK

facade wrote: Try this: get a 1/2"diameter mild steel tube, say 0.6 mm wall thickness. bend it round your knee.
Now try with a 1/2" bar ;)

There are lots of nasty formulas that I don't have a clue about, but strength:weight ratio is better for tubes. If you make a tube with half the mass of a solid bar of the same diameter (by boring the middle out) then the tube is more than half as strong as the bar. Within reason, the greater the diameter, the thinner the wall can be for the same strength, until you reach the point that you can squash the tube walls inwards, then it will bend easily.

If you made a roll cage from solid bar of the same diameter it would be loads stronger, but impossibly heavy. If you made one of the same weight from solid bars, the bars would have to be very thin, and would bend easier than the tubes you have now.

I get your point :-)

I have tried google with this question, and loads of info turns up. One of the things mentioned is that tube has two surfaces, the outside and the inside, where solid rod only has one surface.

So, I'm not convinced that any of the two are stronger than the other. but I'll let you get the benefit of the doubt on this one :)

Buy maybe some solid (ha ha) facts will turn up eventually :-)
Last edit: 12 Mar 2012 14:51 by TomDK.

More
12 Mar 2012 17:13 #35366 by Johnniehec
Replied by Johnniehec on topic Re: Rear rod

Monkey wrote:

Strongest panhard rod on the market ;) IMO.

I won't get into the argument about what's stronger with tube vs pipe vs solid bar as that is a massive topic ;)

Which ones are they Monkey?
Anything would be better than the standard ones which appear to be made out of chocolate!!!
John.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds