BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Slight Wobble and fast Vibration

• blakey2000
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2012 09:34 #34708 by blakey2000
Slight Wobble and fast Vibration was created by blakey2000
Hi all,
i was hoping someone might be able to know what is wrong, i have done a 3" lift, from ORA so castor corrected arms, adjustable pan hard rods ect I also put in a full set of super pro poly bushes.

now my problem is at around 100km/h i get a slight steering wobble. and i cannot figure out why. tyre's are the right pressure, panhard rod is the right length to position the axle in the center of the body and its bolts are tight and not loose or sloppy. I did correct the steering arm so my steering wheel was the right way up. iv tried everything to stop this wobble. different tyre pressures lower and higher, re adjusting the panhard rod. and i cant find anything wrong with the front end at all to cause the problem.

does anyone have any ideas what could be causing it. maybe the tierod but i didn't think it would change.

my other problem is a vibration at 55-65km/h pretty much only at that speed range all others are fine. quite a heavy vibration but fast pretty much intune with the engine rpm. so im guessing it might be the rear propshaft, i did take it off(axle side) but realized i didn't need to and put it back on, never changed anything with it, basically took it off then put it right back on without changing the position of it at all.

any ideas would help greatly as im really stumped at what it could be.

Cheers,
Blake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2012 12:53 #34718 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: Slight Wobble and fast Vibration
wheel balancing ,kingpin bearings & track rod ends i would suggest checking

More
03 Mar 2012 19:17 #34754 by supergaz
I had exactly the same today but at 30+ then fitted my smaller GV tyres and hit 40mph and nearly died, the jimny shook itself to bits and I had to stop fast without braking. Then went back home and replaced my nicely balanced GV tyres back on to my G'Vitara as the jimny tyres are to big.
Put my special tracs back on the jimny but with the rears on the front and fronts on the back just so I could put it away, but then decided to take the dog down to the beach and then hit 50 mph and no death wobble, I still don't trust it at any more speed and the noise with special tracs, cage and lobster box make it very noisy.

• blakey2000
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2012 22:16 #34770 by blakey2000
Replied by blakey2000 on topic Re: Slight Wobble and fast Vibration
I have my stock jimny wheels on 205/70 alloy ones, and they have been balanced. will be changing the wheels to 265/70 or 31/10.5 at some point, it already has new kingpin bearings, and i don't know what a track rod is, I'm guessing its the same thing i mentioned just you call it something different, the bar that connects the 2 wheels?

I haven't checked it as i don't know how to check it for problems.

any ideas on what my vibration would be from?

• Dutchjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2012 22:43 #34773 by Dutchjimny
Replied by Dutchjimny on topic Re: Slight Wobble and fast Vibration
I re-alligned my kingpins but it requires some welding..

• blakey2000
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2012 23:31 #34775 by blakey2000
Yer i saw that, you corrected for castor in a more drastic way. rather then rotating the entire axle you just rotated your swivel joints. i have control arms that correct that for my lift, so i don't think that is the problem. and my wobble isn't killer is more as if you had unbalanced wheels but only happening at 100kmh/62mp/h where as an unbalanced wheel would show up allot sooner.

and my wobble is more i drive up to 100km/h with no wobble at all then after about 2min i get a little wobble. if i slow down to 95km/h it goes away till I'm back to 100km/h then is good for another 2min. till it comes back.

if i don't slow down it doesn't get any worse just stays the same.

• Dutchjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2012 14:27 #34807 by Dutchjimny
Replied by Dutchjimny on topic Re: Slight Wobble and fast Vibration
ive got the ora 3'' castor corrected radius arms too.. But i guess that just wasnt enough..

More
04 Mar 2012 17:03 #34821 by dirtydogz
This is a track rod end.

Attachment tierod1.jpg not found

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Attachments:

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2012 22:15 #34861 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Slight Wobble and fast Vibration

dirtydogz wrote: This is a track rod end.

Attachment tierod1.jpg not found

there's 4 of them on the Jimny and are part of the steering setup and are what connects the hub to the steering rack to allow the the wheels to turn

• blakey2000
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2012 08:27 #34888 by blakey2000
@ dutchjimny, oh really wow, how do i know if my kingpins are aligned incorrectly. is it a visual thing that i can just look to see.

@dirtydogs and darthloachie,

thoes ends on my jimny, the bushing is pretty rooted does that affect them much

and i have come across something that give a decent list of what causes the wobble on a jimny i can copy the thread over if others would like to see it or at least give a link

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2012 12:24 #34913 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Slight Wobble and fast Vibration
give them a good shake
mine had worn enough to rattle when you shook them - cured one of the wobbles we had

• Jimbo in the Jungle
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2012 18:27 #34955 by Jimbo in the Jungle
Replied by Jimbo in the Jungle on topic Re: Slight Wobble and fast Vibration
I have also installed a 3" lift. I am not having any wobble issues but my rear driveshaft CV was already a bit tired and I think with the increase in angle it is on its way out.
I would be interested to know whether you installed any prop shaft spacer on the rear driveshaft - I have not yet installed any as the 1" spacer was too tight a fit but I have turned it down to 1/2" and will probably see if it improves matters.
Good luck with it.
Jim.

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds